1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Did Big Daddy really break Google this time?

Discussion in 'Google' started by minstrel, May 10, 2006.

Is 'Big Daddy' Choking Google?
    May 9, 2006
    By Ben Charny, eWeek

...more

minstrel, May 10, 2006 IP
    gford likes this.
  2. Imran

Imran Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Intresting article, I never knew google has bigDaddy data centers.
    Thanks for the info mate.

Imran, May 10, 2006 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Neither did I. I'm not sure it's accurate. I thought those "Big Daddy" datacenters were merely testing grounds for the update.

4. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In an article to the Wall Street Journal last week, Eric Schmidt was quoted as saying,

<Bolding added by myself> Note the use of the word 'Crisis'. Now this is a very educated CEO here, in a pre planned interview, not some spotjockey. Crisis is a VERY powerful word to use don't you think?

Old Welsh Guy, May 10, 2006 IP
  5. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Roman, May 10, 2006 IP
  6. Imran

Imran Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If the story is true then dont know what else is in future, I just hope its a temp problem, all our sites will start getting indexed again, rankings wont drop, trust me my earnings are down 80% :(

Imran, May 10, 2006 IP
  7. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Big Daddy is an architecture update not a datacetre. When Matt (Cutts) refered to the 'big dady data centre' he was referring to was the ppoint of origin of the test that the update was run on. This is taken from Matts blog

Clearly this is referring to BD as an update not a datacentre, after all if you substitute it for what the writer of the original datacentre is saying you get Matt suggesting that a datacentre can 'roll uot' and become two datacentres. Matt has repeatedly metioned BD 'rolling out' to other datacentres, which IMO makes the article tripe! :(

Old Welsh Guy, May 10, 2006 IP
  8. netsearchresearch

netsearchresearch Peon

Best Answers:
    Minstrel,

You have any example searches or sites that have been droped

netsearchresearch, May 10, 2006 IP
  9. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I don't disagree with you, OWG. I posted it because it summarizes what we seem to be seeing everywhere these days, a mixture of fiction and possible facts with little clarity as to where one ends and the other begins.

The use of the word "crisis" is pretty scary, though.

Please note that i didn't write the article and I don't agree with everything it says. However, if you want examples, look through the Google threads in any decent SEO forum and you'll find numerous claims of this happening. What I have observed personally are anomalies in the site: query that don't make a lot of sense and the information provided by the site: query suggests large numbers of previously indexed pages are no longer in the index.

Why doesn't this make sense? Because for the sites I'm looking at, PR and Google rankings for those sites haven't been affected. I find it hard to believe that could be true if thousands of pages have suddenly disappeared from the index.

10. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hate to have to *come clean* here :eek:, but I believe that one of my blogs about Coffee has completely disappeared from Google index recently. Not quite sure when, but I guess I can find out.

[Edit]I just found out that my site disappeared around March 17. so damn it I just need to do better I guess...[/Edit]

miko67, May 10, 2006 IP
  11. netsearchresearch

netsearchresearch Peon

Best Answers:
    I did a quick check on your title and you list #1 on MSN for "Hot Cup of Coffee" but not in top 50 on yahoo or google

Google shows no info is avalible when searching on your domain.

MSN likes spammy links and google will filter them out and maybe penilize your site.

Where do your links come from?

12. netsearchresearch

netsearchresearch Peon

Best Answers:
    I looked at your links and I see a lot of sig links and a site run on holidaygiftideas.be try remove the DP sig give it 3 days then try removing the site run at holidaygiftideas.be and see if anything improves on yahoo and google while watching your MSN listing let me know what happens

Sigs are Ok but they can't be the majority of your links.

also try getting some good home page links

13. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    I have cached pages in the google index that have not been up for almost a year. These pages have had robots.txt and 301 redirects on them. In asking google, they say they will have to forward this onto the engineers. This has been going on for wince last august with no resolve from them.

Some days I have 20K old cached pages, somedays I dont even see the sites in the index. Really hard as I continue to pay $1,000's to writers for content that google doesn't seem to care about. Above that its just great to have PR6 sites that aren't getting indexed. What a loss. seems like a lot of wasted space in googles index also...

ServerUnion, May 10, 2006 IP
  14. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Hey Minstrel ... "crisis" I think its worse than that - they are going to implode! I came across a site yesterday for one of my keywords and I couldn't believe what I saw.

In #1 for the keyword was a site that is about 4-5 years old ... very little backlinks, ZERO and I mean ZERO on page optimization, stale content hasn't been changed in years, and has a PR4. No evidence of cloaking or blackhat techniques.

In #2 was a PR7 site, optimized to the hilt on onpage and offpage with an Alexa of 1021. 15K indexed pages, BLs MSN: 77,218 Yahoo!: 53,200 Google: 19,100. Almost daily content updates ... and I mean serious content updates ...

An example that goes against all SEO principals.

Really bizarre ...

LaCabra, May 10, 2006 IP
    browntwn likes this.
  15. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Do some research and you will find that there are major issues with Google so it's likely not his site that's the problem. Making changes may just be extra work and detrimental in the end. You have to know what's broke before you try to fix it.

Roman, May 10, 2006 IP
  16. netsearchresearch

netsearchresearch Peon

Best Answers:
    google can be very forgiven you need to remove what you think makes google mad and see if it helps or hurts if it hurts just put it back and google will put you back he's not even listed right now on google so he just needs to watch MSN

I have several research seo contest sites Google effected half of them on may 2nd with a new spamsense filter I know google very well won last 3 seo contest checkpoints on google

17. netsearchresearch

netsearchresearch Peon

Best Answers:
    Minstrel,

I looked at your site a little more and it looks like the site run links are more likly to be the problem I would start by removing 1 of them at a time every 3 days you can addd them back if MSN drops it probley will just give it a try for a week

Googles new filter is more likly to effect these kind of links

18. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    netsearch - What filter are you talking about ?

LaCabra, May 10, 2006 IP
  19. cleanairguy

cleanairguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Just a hunch. I base my theory on the fact we bought a lot of ads on PR8 and PR7 websites (sitewides) for a 1 year term. Cost us over $3000 for just 2 of the sites. The good news for us is that those ads (links) have more than paid for themselves thus far in sales. The bad news is that 8 months later our homepage is still PR3. For some reason however 5 of our subpages are now PR7 and 6 PR6's. We linked to a site I created in December and all 5 pages went PR7. So our site is passing PR, just not getting any home page PR. That should change once the links are 1 yr old. My thinking is that google figures that if you're just trying to buy PR, you won't stick around for 1 year, but if you're advertising, then you will stick it out and keep the ad long term as long as the ad makes you money. I may be 100% wrong here, but it's my theory based on what I've seen with my own sites.

Mike

cleanairguy, May 10, 2006 IP
    LaCabra likes this.
  20. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    It is very possible Mike! Good analysis!

LaCabra, May 10, 2006 IP