1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

develop ecommerce website in Joomla or other CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by sarahashlin, Nov 24, 2011.

Can I develop a eCommerce website (PayPal integration) in joomla or other CMS( free platform). If yes please provide me some template for my website.

sarahashlin, Nov 24, 2011 IP
  2. realman2007_1love

realman2007_1love Peon

Best Answers:
    You can add pp to your website with a pp business account.

realman2007_1love, Nov 25, 2011 IP
  3. Newviewit

Newviewit Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try magento... best ecom cms out there

or if you're just adding paypal - go with a simple wordpress site with paypal buy now buttons - no need for a full blown ecom site if you will not be using the features

Newviewit, Nov 25, 2011 IP
  4. andersonsjohn

andersonsjohn Banned

Best Answers:
    Try oscommerce ..its best... With all the functionality you need for running a online store is available in oscommerce...

andersonsjohn, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  5. tradr

tradr Greenhorn Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    You can set up an online store for $6 a month at tradr.com

It is based on open source.

Wordpress

tradr, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  6. 5Twenty

5Twenty Peon

Best Answers:
    Stay away from OScommerce and Wordpress if you are looking at e-commerce. I speak from experience, our team built over 100 different websites for customers last year and roughly 65% of those were e-commerce, and about 35% had some kind of WP installation. Wordpress is a CMS and most the plugins you will find are going to be riddled with bugs and errors. You're going to spend more money trying to get these things working than you want. OScommerce is dated, and should have died when Xoops did years ago. The interface is terrible, the feature set is deprecated, and the coding itself is a mess.

Depending on what the goal of your site is you first should decide whether you need a cms solution or a e-commerce solution. You will find that your options will fall into one of these two categories. Sure have the ability to do a little from the other category, say create pages or a buy buttons, but for the most part the are going to centralize around the primary purpose: e-commerce or content management.

If your going with e-commerce than consider Newviewit's comment. The community option of magento is a fantastic option for a free open source e-commerce solution. The down side is that it is very slow and has a lot of options. You will need a little bit bigger hosting account so your visitors dont leave due to poor load times. It's also more complex from a programming point, so be prepaired to hire a firm if you run into trouble. The upside is that it's very comprehensive. Has a sizable community with lots of extensions and very active forums. In addition it's moving forward quickly and backed by ebay (which means it has a future). This may be to much for you depending on what you are selling tho.

If you are going with a CMS based websites and just want to offer the occasional product hear and their you could try either Drupal w/ ubercart or Joomla. Joomla has a number of e-commerce solutions that very in difficulty and features depth. My choice would be Joomla, as it is still the number 1 CMS on the market with a very robust community. You will find access to lots of information, components, modules, and low price developers.

5Twenty, Jan 16, 2012 IP
  7. Cambridge Software

Cambridge Software Peon

Best Answers:
    When Joomla, I recommend (based on experience) Joomla + VirtueMart. It is quite good.
    Also, osCommerce is what I know well I can honestly recommend.

Cambridge Software, Jan 28, 2012 IP
  8. nicelife

nicelife Member

Best Answers:
    Hi sarahashlin,

How big do you want to be? 5Twenty has a point, the ecommerce plugins for Wordpress are buggy sometimes, but I have used Wordpress a couple of times for small ecommerce sites and I found it as a very useful, quick and easy solution to use, just simple stuff.
    If you want to be really serious about this ecommerce site, you should try something more "detailed", where you can customize every little thing.

Hope that helps :)

nicelife, Jan 28, 2012 IP