1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Desktop messengers

Discussion in 'Programming' started by jshaffstall, Jul 22, 2007.

Has anyone created a desktop messenger before? The sort of thing that sits in the system tray and pops up messages from other users.

I'm looking to create one with some fairly specific requirements, and want to find a basic framework to start from in either Java or Python.
    SEMrush
    Or, to find someone who has already done a similar program that could knock out a new one in a short time frame.

Details can be PMed to programmers who are interested.

Thanks,
    Jay

jshaffstall, Jul 22, 2007 IP
    SEMrush
  2. tarponkeith

tarponkeith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think everyone tries it when they are learning visual basic, as it is a great way to learn to work with sockets...

The hard part is making it work over the internet with all the firewalls out there... Unless, of course, you're using a central server...

tarponkeith, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  3. ProgrammersTalk

ProgrammersTalk Peon

Best Answers:
    I made this before lol, although it wasn't that great but it works pretty well :)

I made it like mIRC if you know? :D

just a little more modification to be like Yahoo Messenger or MSN. However, most important is the encryption between the server - client - server so that other people can't sniff it lol...

ProgrammersTalk, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  4. pruad

pruad Peon

Best Answers:
    pruad, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  5. jshaffstall

jshaffstall Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies!

I'm not looking for an IM program specifically, but something that will allow very specific, pre-configured, messages to be sent to everyone else running the program. I've had a look at the various IM programs, and didn't find them suitable.

I don't mind running a central server. This isn't going to be high traffic, and polling might be the best way around firewall issues anyway.

What I'd really like to find is a framework that provides the infrastructure for sending and receiving messages, and build a GUI on top of that.

Jabber looks very promising, thanks for the link!

Jay

jshaffstall, Jul 25, 2007 IP