1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

design wp website for a client

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by daviiid, Mar 22, 2013.

Hi
    i'm designing a website with wordpress for a client.
    He already registered the hosting with mysql and wants me to build the website since the beginning on his hosting. He wants to pay me only when the job is done but to be honest i don't trust him. How would you suggest to do? Can i change the mysql password with mine and then provide it to him only when he pays me?
    Thanks

daviiid, Mar 22, 2013 IP
  2. ManuB

ManuB Peon

Best Answers:
    If the work's heavy, ask him for some money firts, even if it's just 20% or something. If the work's not too big, I would just give him the benefit of the doubt, build it and do what you said.

I don't exactly know which hosting you're using, but if he already created a mysql database he should give you the password for it, right? And you have also access to the control panel, so you could delete it or change the password. Maybe I'm missing something but I think you could do that, right?

ManuB, Mar 24, 2013 IP
  3. pileofcrap

pileofcrap Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are entirely unsure you should request for a % up front. I don't do work for first time clients for less than 50% up front. And if they don't like it, they can go look for a contractor elsewhere.

I'd rather have that piece of mind before hand.

But I do tell them it's a first time thing and if all goes smoothly I have no problem doing work first then being paid.

pileofcrap, Mar 26, 2013 IP
  4. HuggyStudios

HuggyStudios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I would just build the whole site on my own server and he can see your work there. There's not any major reasons why this shouldn't be possible (server configs etc).

Just ask the client nicely, I'm sure they will be okay about it.

HuggyStudios, Mar 27, 2013 IP
  5. pileofcrap

pileofcrap Active Member

Best Answers:
    Huggy's givin' some good advice there, too. I got into the habit of insisting on doing it that way, a few times. For those that did refuse to pay 50% up front and I really wanted the work.

pileofcrap, Mar 27, 2013 IP