1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Description in Directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by mines, Feb 25, 2006.

Hello
    If, like most directories, it is like:
    SITENAME (which links to your site)
    DESCRIPTION (which doesn't link to your site)

is there any reason to put a keyword rich description?

mines, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  2. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    For people searching the directory?

iowadawg, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  3. mines

mines Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Who does though? Apart from webmasters submitting sites? I know I Never use directories, anyway :p

mines, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  4. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Do you want to submit to directories?
    Never understood people who want to submit to a site and yet will proclaim that they never go to such a site.

To each his own.

For sure, submit to my directories and I will reject them if I see they are from you.

iowadawg, Feb 25, 2006 IP
    Jat likes this.
  5. NikkiBlue

NikkiBlue Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A keyword rich description only helps the directory, which most webmasters dont realize.
    A regular description is needed for those that may be searching that particular directory.

NikkiBlue, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  6. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    those are pretty valid statements.

...adding - be the best text copy on the page [an objective view of what is found on the other side of the link] and you will get more clicks! [of course - if any are available].

fathom, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  7. Carlisle

Carlisle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A rich description may help the directory get more traffic from search engines. But depending the script that directory uses, your site can also benefit. Thanks to search engines, people visit directories and they are still popular, I think.

Carlisle, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  8. ltcobretti

ltcobretti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A unique and keyword rich description will help the directory get ranked better, and will also help your link be worth something. You should always try to target a few obscure search terms when submitting a directory listing. Sometimes it will get you traffic, if you don't try an obscure term don't expect anything. Also, if you offer the same duplicate description too many times, the weaker links will be weeded from your google links ;)

ltcobretti, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  9. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    hmmmm....

Interesting question... well here is the deal. Google is pretty smart and does consider the text around your link. How do I know... well a buddy of mine has a site and he rank well for some KW and there was no mention of the KW on his site or in anchor text anywhere. ;) (I shit you not)

Now.. what you should do is not KW load your description b/c you will just piss off directory owners.

larysmith711, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  10. Mah Milton

Mah Milton Peon

Best Answers:
    Keyword rich description can boost your site in search engine. Usually most of the directories allow to submit up to 500 characters. So in these description one can easily put one or two keyword but not more than that. If one put more than that 2 or 3 then search engine may suspect it is somewhat a scam.

Mah Milton, May 4, 2009 IP
  11. tankard

tankard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, in fact you need to have multiple descriptions and titles if you want your directory submission campaign be successful. Google considers body text around the anchor, so having it keyword rich (don't mistake this for keyword spamming) definitely helps!

You are wrong in this. Then, how can you explain the fact that many popular directories have Alexa rank within Top 50,000. Some people, especially the older generation who grew up on DMOZ, still love a nice browse through a popular and valuable directory. It is yet another way of discovering new interesting sites. Keep that in mind when writing copy (any copy - advert, sales, desctiption) - entertain a reader and don't think about anything else!

tankard, May 5, 2009 IP