1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dedicated vs. Shared hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by star2323, Feb 18, 2006.

I have always used shared hosting in the past since I never had a site big enough which needed dedicated hosting.

Is running a site on a dedicated server any different than shared hosting? I mean do I still login to cPanel and do everything the same? I don't have to install any software or manage the server do I?

Has anybody here used dedicated hosting from HostGator. I have a shared account with them and have been very happy with their service.

star2323, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  2. brandondrury

brandondrury Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I've had dedicated hosting that my tech had to manually setup with Linux and then I've had dedicated hosting that no different than shared hosting.

I guess it depends on your hosting provider.

Brandon

brandondrury, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  3. honey

honey Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    It's pretty much the same thing, except that you have more control over things. Maybe you should try a VPS as well.

honey, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  4. star2323

star2323 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    What is VPS?

5. AWD1

AWD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    It really depends on how your server is configured in both instances.

All other things remaining equal (the same software on both the dedicated and shared boxes), the major difference between the two is that you have more control. You can log into your box whenever you want, configure various aspects of it (e.g. raw logfiles, directory security, SSL).

You probably won't be able to do everything (e.g. DNS) but you'll be able to do more.

AWD1, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  6. Farkas

Farkas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Virtual Private Servers
    As versatile as a dedicated server, as easy as a shared hosting account. Virtual private servers (VPS) from A Small Orange provide new opportunities in hosting. We have VPS servers to match all types of needs and budgets.

More info about vps here : vps

Farkas, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  7. star2323

star2323 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    All asmallorange dedicate and VPS accounts are sold out.

8. AWD1

AWD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Check out Sectorlink. They host my dedicated box, and they're nothing short of amazing.

You know things like support, and service, and uptime? They actually offer those. (Having gone through Interland, Tentex, Burlee, Magma, Blue Genesis, and about a dozen other hosts since 2000, I can tell you that these guys are the best).

If you're not familiar with running a dedicated box too, they'll walk you through it until you're comfortable with it so you don't screw anything up (and even if you do, they'll fix it for you.) Mine's over 2 years old now, and I've been a customer of theirs for 4 as of March 6th. That's 48 in Adam's Hosting Years (1 Hosting Year = 1 month.)

AWD1, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  9. nicknick

nicknick Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    HostGator is a good company. I use them on a couple of client sites and they have been very stable. They have their data centre at The Planet which has a division offering fairly affordable dedicated hosting. If you're going to get your own server, you might as well go to the source.

http://www.servermatrix.com/

nicknick, Feb 18, 2006 IP
    Farkas likes this.