1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dedicated Server

Discussion in 'General Business' started by mrdjkcool, Jan 26, 2005.

Hi guys... a little off topic but I was hoping someone with some vast experience would be able to direct to a good dependable site to get a good DEDICATED SERVER for Windows. (running ASP etc files)

Keys... dependability and good prices. Id appreciate anyones help!

\\DJ

mrdjkcool, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  2. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been using AIT for close to a year. I had a couple of issues at the start, but ever since, it's been pretty smooth sailing and the prices are unbelieveable. I pay $50 a month for my dedicated server with eight IP's. I have about 50 websites on the box and I administer it through Terminal Services and/or pcAnywhere. You have to supply the firewall (I use Tiny Firewall Pro) and the email server (Argosoft.com) both of which are inexpensive and very robust. After that, it's all yours to do with what you want. It's been very good for me and I use InternetSeer to ping the server every 15 minutes and for the last 5 months, I've had less than two hours down time.

Check them out at http://www.aitcom.net

mopacfan, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  3. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I use www.servermatrix.com and I'm pretty happy with them. I've got 1.2TB of bw/month with a 2.4ghz celeron, 1024 megs of ram, 80 gig hd for ~100$ a month. my server's redhat but they offer windows.

I'm thinking about getting one of their 20mbps unmetered servers soon :)

disgust, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  4. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Yeah - they look good.. thanks very much for this mopacfan, I'm looking for a box myself right now :)

john_loch, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  5. riziko

riziko Peon

Best Answers:
    I also have a ServerMatrix dedicated server. It is a celeron 2.4 1GB RAM running Windows 2003. I havent had it for long but I am pretty happy with it. ServerMatrix is a part of "The Planet" who are a very large hosting/server provider.

If you look around in the forums there are some good deals posted (like this one).

Be careful about getting a cheap package. Places like ServerMatrix can only offer these low prices because they are essentially "unmanaged" i.e. There is no one there to hold you hand. You need to know how to run a web server. They provide some support (for free) but it is pretty minimal.

Ross

riziko, Jan 27, 2005 IP
  6. Juls

Juls Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ServerMatrix and The Planet suck if you need any kind of support. I have had great experiences with ev1servers.net, which is a dedicated server host and isp based out of texas previously known as rackshack. They offer both linux and windows servers.

Good luck choosing the best one for you..

Juls, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  7. plmerlin

plmerlin Guest

Best Answers:
    I've a 1and1.com Redhat 9 root unmanaged server for $99. It's a dual Pentium IV 3Ghz, 1G mem, 140 G hard drive and 500G data transfer - one IP only but I got additional for $1 a month. Customer service is quite good even for unmanaged boxes.

I'm looking for a cheap one for our dev people... thank you for the referrals, we will go with aitcom.net and their $49 box - perfect for dev according to my gurus :).

plmerlin, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  8. [GeNe]

[GeNe] Peon

Best Answers:
    You could always go for surpasshosting.com. I may not have used them before but I have friends who run their dedicated servers on it and it seems pretty good. The prices are quite ok so you might want to consider it. Also, if you're visitors are mostly from the Asian countries, kkhost.net is great.

*Sorry, can't post live links.

[GeNe], Feb 16, 2005 IP
  9. obral

obral Peon

Best Answers:
    ev1servers.net is good. I paid $100 for Windows Web Edition. So far no problem. With 1000GB bandwith, never use it all.

however, you are expected to know technical know how to manage server

obral

obral, Feb 18, 2005 IP
  10. nullbit

nullbit Peon

Best Answers:
    www.serverpronto.com, pretty damn cheap ($29.99 for starter dedicated server). Service is reliable, support used to suck, but now seems to have improved.

nullbit, Feb 20, 2005 IP