1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dedicated Server Or VPS would be best for me?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by toorhamza, Dec 3, 2013.

Hello,

I have started a new video sharing service in which I am going to host my videos on my own network. The script was started with digitalocean.com but I have seen that videos were not played quite in a good manner. They have a slow network connection. Sometimes speeds are awesome and usually they can't even play a 10mb video properly.

I have a small budget and I require large space so I was planning to go with interserver VPS for $6 per slice and an additional space of 100GB for $1 as they said me. I am again worried about the speeds because I have used then before and according to wget cachefly.net test the download speed is just 2-3mb/s.

Can somebody tell me of a high speed VPS service or what if I purchase there dedicated server. Can somebody tell me about the dedicated server speed tests.

My website is http://www.trueflick.com. You guys can test the awful speeds I have to face but sometimes like yesterday night (according to my time) the speeds went to 44-50mb/s download speeds and they were awesome but whole day it is 2-3mb/s which does not even plays a video.

Thanks. Looking forward for replies.

toorhamza, Dec 3, 2013 IP
  2. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Budget?

1- what you need is a DEDICATED server line

the servers claiming to be selling servers on a 100mbps lines are actually shared lines, meaning many servers on the same 100mbps line

server line costs about 1.5-2.5$ per mbps of speed, how can they give you a 100mbps line( cost 150-250$) themselves and then give you a server for 60-100$?

if you have a good budget

use cloudflare as cdn
    use 2-3 servers, and serve videos with static domains ( amazon s3+digitalocean combo, or something like that)

and you need 1 good vps with additional 2-3 TB hard disk, that would be a better option if you dont' have much traffic for now.

it will cost you 50-100$ a month steady

however, before you start, make sure you can make at least the cost back with it.

competent123, Dec 3, 2013 IP
  3. Suhana Shaik

Suhana Shaik Member

Best Answers:
    Suhana Shaik, Dec 6, 2013 IP
  4. obosor

obosor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd suggest dedicated server for your video sharing site. You will get dedicated uplink and downlink. So you won't face any issue for speed.

obosor, Dec 9, 2013 IP
  5. cesurasean

cesurasean Active Member

Best Answers:
    Think small ( VPS ), and grow from there. :)

cesurasean, Dec 9, 2013 IP
  6. evtimii

evtimii Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can test your network speed and i/o with this script:

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    Code (markup):
    Also you could do take some MTR tests to see if there's any packetloss.

DigitalOcean is reputable provider - you could contact the support to check if there's any issue with the network. Also check if you've enabled the VirtIO driver.

You might be able to run the website on VPS, but it depends on the CPU/i/o requirements of your website. Also your website is currently showing "default cPanel page" - you might want to check that.

evtimii, Dec 13, 2013 IP
  7. SlimCharles47

SlimCharles47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If your resource needs are not great, it may be smart to start with a VPS plan and scale up as needed before eventually going to a dedicated server. A dedicated server is going to be significantly more expensive, but offers increased security. There is now also a class of hybrid servers that straddle both worlds. Take a look at this post, which looks at the different hosting options available. http://www.wiredtree.com/blog/what-are-the-best-hosting-options-for-small-and-medium-businesses/

SlimCharles47, Dec 17, 2013 IP