1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Declaring IM income for tax in Australia

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by cashmachine101, Aug 9, 2009.

In the last tax year, I've earned less than $1500 and spent more than twice that on training courses, web hosting etc, advertising etc, resulting in a loss. Most of the income is through ClickBank, Adsense, and a CPA network.

Should I be declaring the loss to the ATO or I can I let it slide?

Can it be classed as hobby income?

cashmachine101, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  2. CasualNerd

CasualNerd Active Member

Best Answers:
    As for me, I've never made enough to worry about being chased by the ATO. Even if they did have proof of my earnings I would find a similar amount of costs and loses to balance it out.

That said, I believe some companies are co-operating with the ATO to provide tax statements, as they do in the US/Canada by law. I can't remember where I was reading it, or what companies were affected though.

I'd find a registered accountant and ask some questions ;)

CasualNerd, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  3. matthis111

matthis111 Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't worry it's probably too low to get chased by your tax authority. And if you are, the fine will be very low.

matthis111, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  4. blueliquid

blueliquid Guest

Best Answers:
    Anything earnt apart from your wage, to a maximum of $5000 is classed as a hobby and would still have to be declared.

blueliquid, Aug 13, 2009 IP