1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Decided to remove adsense after 8 years

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by olddocks, Mar 16, 2016.

After having used adsense in my blog for well over 8 years, i have decided to remove it completely. I am running a blog which i write high quality articles. Honestly adsense brings me $100 monthly, but irrelevent ads not related to content shown by Google which ruins the quality of content in my blog articles, so decided not worth it.

What do you think? Giving up $100 is a wise choice?

olddocks, Mar 16, 2016 IP
  2. mortality

mortality Banned

Best Answers:
    good choice, adsense adds are ugly and irelevant and you never know when they will disable your account for no reason

mortality, Mar 17, 2016 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    As a user I've been really disappointed by them lately. They show me ads for sites I've already visited (and made a purchasing decision: either bought, or chosen not to) rather than ads related to the site I've viewing.

Example
    Searching for icons, visiting a site from the search results and seeing ads for trail running hydration packs.
    Yes, the I'm interested in the packs, but at that moment that wasn't what I was into.
    The advertiser isn't served well because I'm more likely to be irritated by the product being advertised
    The publisher isn't served well because if I'm staying focussed on the job at hand I'm not going to click onto something that is, at that time, a distraction.

sarahk, Mar 17, 2016 IP
    billzo and sundaybrew like this.
  4. donsr

donsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    sarahk that's absolutely true .. the worst part when we search some products on amazon then surf on other sites every ads about that product .. but you can adjust the relevant ads on adsense dashboard . you are with 8 years what u learned from adsense ? you don't know select relevant ads for your site?

donsr, Mar 18, 2016 IP
  5. ademmeda

ademmeda Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you can replace AdSense with another source of income on your blog, than it is not a bad decision. But if you don't have a way to replace it and if $100/mo is important to you, then I would say it is a bad decision.

I wish Google allowed you to prevent displaying interest-based ads on your site but as it is made clear on the following page, you can't do that:

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/142293

The best alternative you have is to actively monitor (once a week?) which ads are displayed on your site and block any of them that you don't want to appear on your site, you can even block advertiser URLs altogether. However, also note that if interest-based advertising was not working for advertisers and Google (hence for the publisher), it wouldn't be a thing.

ademmeda, Mar 18, 2016 IP
    Webcenter likes this.
  6. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Plus, the other reason i hated adsense is competitors are advertising in my website. i disabled competitors ads in adsense dashboard, but now ads are irrelevant and ugly.

Looking at the good side, my site looks professional, neat and high quality without adsense.

Yes i hope i believe products i blog about will sell without adsense.

olddocks, Mar 18, 2016 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I was talking about a user's perspective. A user doesn't have a site but is visiting your site. A user isn't going to click your ads if they aren't interesting or relevant.

sarahk, Mar 18, 2016 IP
  8. IanT

IanT Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What other service would you use?

IanT, Mar 18, 2016 IP
  9. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It seems Googles advertising platform is on the downhill as people are using more and more adblockers with their blockers.
    Looking at adsense free worldwide web for the future.

I will not use any affiliate service unless it is very relevant to the site content.

olddocks, Mar 19, 2016 IP
  10. slackhead

slackhead Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with this. For $100 a month I don't think it's worth removing. It's a little something extra that a few people are choosing to click on. I don't think it takes away from your blog because it's just things that people have searched themselves.

slackhead, Mar 19, 2016 IP
  11. iwebsocial

iwebsocial Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Adsense is still #1 PPC ad network. people love to join the adsense. As you have said that you are $100 Per month So, removing ad is completely does not make any sense. I suggest you to continue with them.

iwebsocial, Mar 20, 2016 IP
  12. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am testing Media.net on one of my popular sites, and hasn't made a penny yet in two days, which adsense has made 1.65 pounds with same # of impressions on a similar site of mine

pmf123, Mar 20, 2016 IP
    Webcenter likes this.
  13. AmpedSense Wordpress

AmpedSense Wordpress Peon

Best Answers:
    That's been my experience too. Totally understand if OP doesn't want to put ads on because it's not worth it, but trying to find another network which performs better than AdSense is going to be hard. Think about it - AdSense is run by Google - who can compete with Google??

AmpedSense Wordpress, Mar 22, 2016 IP
  14. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i disagree, anytime a visitor leaves your site by clicking on penny ads, then it certainly does take away, and it is
    a complete distraction to visitors. a link that pays $5 or adsense that pays pennies, and then the visitor is gone....
    if you have enough traffic, then certainly sell private ad space on your site, seems like you would make more....

dscurlock, Mar 22, 2016 IP
  15. abraxas

abraxas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Same question rounds in my head during last couple of years, with similar income per site per month.
    The relativeness of the ads, in addition to everything else, depends also on who / where from and after what search ended on your site. So, simply looking at your site from your very same IP daily, in some/many cases will not yield the same ad results as I will see them for example.

That being said, I agree that overall the ads are more and more unrelated, ugly, paying almost nothing, so I would say Adsense is on the downhill. Plus, as somebody said many people now have ad blockers, but in addition to that more and more users become "ad-blind" and just ignore them like they would do with some spammy pop-ups lets say.
    I haven't removed my ads yet, but am considering it more and more seriously....

@olddocks, depending on the niche of your blog, you might want to try some affiliate programs. At least in the travel sphere these bring way better income compared to Adsense - guaranteed! Of course it will depend on how targeted is your traffic...

abraxas, Mar 22, 2016 IP
  16. Anusha55

Anusha55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's totally personal but I would never give up unless I know it will improve my earning on other way. If you getting this right good for you. Many of them advice you to use block ads feature which is not at all good unless you are a good publisher. $100 is decent amount but not enough.

Anusha55, Mar 24, 2016 IP
  17. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    what disturbs me the most is that the op had adsense for 8 years
    and he is only making $100/mo....that does sound somewhat odd....

talk about dedication of trial and error, as I would have not had it that long...
    I think i would have removed it within the first year or two if it was no
    producing much, but to have it for 8 years, and only getting $100/mo
    really does sound strange since the op says he has quality content....

however the op never went into traffic details...maybe he just isnt
    getting the traffic or the numbers for good conversations as adsense
    dpending on niche can take a good amount of traffic, so I do not think
    we have the whole story in order to make a determination if adsense
    is justified or by lack of traffic or other factors....

dscurlock, Mar 24, 2016 IP
  18. donsr

donsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    so after 1 year which network you choosen?

donsr, Mar 24, 2016 IP
  19. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    niche dependent. If he was writing about the automotive industry, then
    amazon has a great deal of automotive stuff, but we do not know his niche...
    for all I know, his niche could be in the dead zone for adsense, just dont know...

dscurlock, Mar 24, 2016 IP
  20. mimi morah

mimi morah Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes that's true, but as a reader, seeing irrelevant ads sort of has an adverse effect on the reader.

mimi morah, Mar 24, 2016 IP