1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Debate - Sig Links Do Not Matter???

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by bigcat1967, Sep 6, 2009.

I read a lot of crap from a whole lot of ppl pretending they know all about backlinking. The first thing they always talk about is that you want to get thousands of backlinks from sig links (basically from forums). I'm not going to say that I totally disagree with them, after all, the two sites listed as my sig links, I backlink from various SEO sites such as this. BUT, I know that MOST sig links are not helping these two sites organically, but I put them there because it doesn't hurt neither. I do believe they help a little, but not a whole lot.

First of all, these same ppl don't talk about linking from relevant sites. You have to link from sites that are relevant to yours. The more high PR relevant sites that are linking to your own site - the better off you'll be in the SERPs. This is one of the secrets to building links.

Secondly, these so called "SEO Wizards" always talk about getting thousands of backlinks (and they are referring to sig links) - and if you get this many, you'll be on page one in no time. Nothing could be further from the truth. The next time you leave a sig link - look at the PR of the page (not the site's index page). It's usually 0 or N/A. That's not going to help you. On top of that, the same page where you are leaving your sig link, other ppl have commented and leave their sig links as well - therefore, bleeding the page of link juice.

Look - I'm not trying to bash ppl for leaving sig links...like I said, I do it as well. I think it does help a little - but not much at all. I really think if you have good content and keep posting new stuff on your site (and try to leave it as link bait), I really do believe that ppl will link to you and this will help you in the SERPs.

One question you have to ask yourself in the end - Don't you think Google doesn't know about DoFollow forums such as DP and do you think Google will really reward you for leaving 5,000 sig links??? I don't think so.

bigcat1967, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  2. jim

jim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. I'll put links in my sig but I don't go renting sig space from others. I like to think that I can get better quality links from relevant pages.

jim, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  3. Nystul

Nystul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    oh well, rent out sig link here add a little $ to my monthly income, so i aint complaining!

Nystul, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  4. paulatkinks

paulatkinks Peon

Best Answers:
    "You have to link from sites that are relevant to yours." - That's not Entirely true, you don't have to link to sites that are related to your niche, actually I don't even think it makes a difference.

"SEO Wizards" always talk about getting thousands of backlinks (and they are referring to sig links) - Not all are referring to sig links, only the stupid ones who "THINK" they know it all.

A forum SIG link help's your serp's, if you do it right. Not 1 forum but if you had 1000 forum's linking back to you, and you did the process properly, are you telling me it isn't going to help? After all , we're not going to be using the thread post as the page we want to spider are we?

paulatkinks, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  5. bigcat1967

bigcat1967 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Paul - when is someone going to have the time to find a 100, let alone 1,000 forums to backlink from? Totally impossible. Even if you had automated software that could post backlinks on a 1,000 forums - still would be pretty much useless if the sites are not relevant to your own site.

I'm still admitting that sig links help a little - not as much as these "SEO Wizards" claim.

bigcat1967, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  6. asmodeus

asmodeus Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I used to think it was all about relevant backlinking too, until someone from DP showed me otherwise. I implemented his technique and used ONLY sigs from forums like DP and shot up in the SERP's for a fairly competitive niche with millions of search results in less then a month.

Coincidence? Maybe, but it worked for me and I can only speak from the experience I've had so far.

asmodeus, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  7. Jerlene.net

Jerlene.net Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why is this impossible? People sell packages all the time, which include signatures from multiple forums. If you buy a bunch of these packages you can achieve it.

Jerlene.net, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  8. funkymario

funkymario Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google generally aim to be platform agnostic . their goal is to value editorially-given links, whether they're from a blog or forum or "regular" web site, etc. what matters is where the Sig link is placed, is it a relevant forum or a relevant thread? or are you advertising your "Britney spears" fan website as a sig in an attorneys forum.

funkymario, Sep 6, 2009 IP