1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Death of Google's PR to threaten Directories?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by The Pheonix, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uyasar

uyasar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think they bwill remove but they can make changes on pr:)

uyasar, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  2. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
  3. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Traffic can be easily manipulated!!! by many things!

PR relys only on backlinks and not on backlinks which has some traffic!

Freewebspace, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  4. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    True mothers dont care about PR, nor the 90% other web users , but what about SEO, Webmasters, eCommerce website owners who needs proofs of the services provided to them.
    Textlinkads,textlinkbrokers etc are also doing business based on PR mainly.

amitpatel_3001, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  5. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    google wont remove PR. Companies like textlinkads, reviewme would find it a lot harder to make business.

mikey1090, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  6. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree with you 100% which is why through my posts here I've always dissed PR and directories that have played on it. I don't think for a second that anyone taking advantage of it were doing anything wrong, it was there to be used, sadly lots abuse it and still do so it was pretty obvious right from early doors it was going to cause problems.

Anyone saying its going to stay probably doesn't know the internet too well or is blinded by the obvious appeal it has. Again you hit it on the head with the 3 points you have, integrity, age and name is going to be a definite factor, traffic, well that can always be manipulated so less strength on that one, SERPS, definately.

Nice answer ASK, thanks. :)

The Pheonix, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  7. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    2 comments.

1st one already covered but Ill say it again.. This is a horrible source for the information.

2nd if you think they should remove pagerank for one reason or the other then follow these steps. Uninstall your toolbar and dont visit threads dealing with pagerank and comment. Then you will never see anything about pagerank again and you can pretend its gone.

But let the people who use it and rely on it keep doing that.

aaron_nimocks, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  8. funkymario

funkymario Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, if this really happens and pr is gone, then its gonna be very exciting, it will be the beginning of a new era, personally i see it like a challenge for directories owners. if your directory is strong, if you are smart and can adapt quikly to a situation like this, then you directory will survive and u can even improve your business.

Also a lot of costs will disapear as u wont have to keep those useless $250 per month pr8 and pr7 links, admit it we are buying high pr links to make high pr directories.

funkymario, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  9. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Very true, but then I think there may be people who 'removed' their toolbar and go and buy a PR7 link by 'mistake' :)

terryuk, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  10. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Google are unlikely to ever use Alexa as a test of accuracy, it would be like admitting its better than its own toolbar when we all know its just as abused as PR. Same with Backlinks, they will be taken into account but not the way its going now, if your linked in a zillion directories they'll recognise this and place less value. This is probably the very reason why the death of PR is on the way.

11. sahilcoolsmart

sahilcoolsmart Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hiding PR will surely give a break on Paid Links Trading.
    And that's what Google wants, it's clear from recent Matt Cutts's concerns.

sahilcoolsmart, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  12. sam1

sam1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    one more thing.. most of people like us install google toolbar just to know PR and it gives google a way to know what we are searching.. so that they can improve their search technology. If they remove PR, people will not install google toolbar and they will loose a way to see ( to some extent) what people are searching..

sam1, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  13. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    Google does not track just from the toolbar we install, if you logged into to gmail everything is tracked.

amitpatel_3001, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  14. wamchu

wamchu Peon

Best Answers:
    My best guss will be Page Rank will not be removed but will be replaced by something better . As people previosly said google has invested too much on this project. Also every three months or so it create so much fuss and therefore google get more publicity which is better for them. I also think it is also related to Addword and Adsense and therefore more reason for google to keep it.

wamchu, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  15. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    I started a thread on this yesterday, and the general consensus seems to be that it will go, I tend to agree, its inevitable. Read the posts Amipatel pointed to, Matt Cutt's has openly admitted that the PR update is a 'Non-Event' for Google, its only people who rely on selling PR related links that stir up a frenzy on PR because they have a vested interest to do so,. this is one of the very reasons Google will get rid of it, its abused too much.

16. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Google cares about these companies? NO

btw title of this thread is BIG assumption. "Bye Bye Page Rank".

If it happens then i think it can create long term problems for Google for its SERP ranking algorithm. Believe it or not SEO ppl are big help to Google because they create quality contents and get quality backlinks to make life easier of Google.

If PR is removed then majority of Google Toolbar would also get un-installed and it will make another -ve impact on Google + Mozilla.

Google will think 100 and 1 time to "Bye Bye Page Rank". So imho its BIGGEST assumption OP has made though its fruitful to create healthy discussion and to explore other aspects of Directory business and its weaknesses. Crucial marketing factors and how strong they are to rely on long term.

Mong, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  17. vicdigi

vicdigi Banned

Best Answers:
    Personally, I think before something like this is posted you should await Google to start and complete its update.

vicdigi, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  18. tdoggy

tdoggy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you read what Adam Lasnik wrote on page 4 of that webmasterworld thread, there is no indication whatsoever that they intend to get rid PR.

tdoggy, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  19. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:

At last some people who makes sense and knows how to read and understands what "Corporate Suicide" means.

popotalk, Aug 10, 2007 IP
    Mong likes this.
  20. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    PR is as meaningless as all the other artifical measures of quality and strength. A directory is ony as good as the webmaster running it and what we need is some measure of accountabiity.

This could easily be done by setting up a Directory Owners Association.

workshop, Aug 10, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.