1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Death of Google's PR to threaten Directories?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by The Pheonix, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I read that Google may be waving goodbye to PR http://www.searchenginejournal.com/goodbye-google-pagerank/5465/ and noted the comment on the blog there
    Is this comment made at directory owners and if it is true that PR is on its way out what is the likely hood for survival on the directories that currently rely on high PR.

Or do you think that PR will always stay and that the post I pointed to is a load of scaremongering and nothing to worry about?

The Pheonix, Aug 9, 2007 IP
    jetbrains likes this.
  2. mywebsearches

mywebsearches Peon

Best Answers:
    No wonder why no PR so far?

Directories owners will find a way to keep the business as usual. Google is the only that will lose at the end as other will take advantage of this opportunity.

But I think is good news as PR is becoming useless, it is time to find a better way to rank websites or make an upgrade to the current system.

mywebsearches, Aug 9, 2007 IP
    jetbrains likes this.
  3. jetbrains

jetbrains Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google always says that it should discard paid links or PR, but it never does it so far.

jetbrains, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  4. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We will wait and see. It's kind of obvious that this may happen eventually, so it won't be a surprise.

But if Google disables PR, it must be rather a sudden move. Otherwise, Matt Cutts didn't have to say anything about reporting some pad practice of paid links.

I have few sites that aim for the SERP more, so if this happens, I will concentrate on them and sell the rest dirs ;)

coolsitez, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  5. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think Gooogle will do away with toolbar page rank unless they replace it with something else. It gets them too much free promotion. I am surpised that other search engines have not come out with their own ranking system like page rank.

and as for it's effect on directories? I don't really think there will be any, PR alone does not do much for a site it is the relevant backlinks that directories provide that aid in search engine position that have the real value.

Really toolbar page rank has just become an easy way for people to rate the success or importance of a website. I think if page strength was accurate on a regular basis and was tweaked, with proper promotion it could have became pretty big. So I think there is definately a huge market out there for some sort of ranking script.

jg123, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  6. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    PR is what it is flawed and has little of no significant relevance to a well promoted and organized Directory that focuses on clients first and last and offers that very same client many value added benefits

britishguy, Aug 9, 2007 IP
    funkymario likes this.
  7. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    Probably in the end it's better, the market will have to look at other things, like directory integrity, traffic, Directory SERP etc.

! Ask !, Aug 9, 2007 IP
    funkymario likes this.
  8. britishguy

Best Answers:
    Yes exactly and its not hard to do it just times, time, effort and total commitment to offer value

Its quite simply a 365/24/7 focus on your clients and what they need expect and require

Business is all about clients not about artificial aids and monitors that in the main are either flawed or grossly misleading:cool:

9. LeopardAt1

LeopardAt1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I think TBPR will stay. Its funny how this sudden topic sprung up during an anticipated PR update.

LeopardAt1, Aug 9, 2007 IP
    The Pheonix likes this.
  10. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hello...

I think PR could be salvaged if it occurred throwout the year and at random
    but to be honest i don't care as we are going to be doing our work refining our
    Search and utilizing space to bring traffic.

Whatever they deem fit makes no impact on us as we have the resources
    amongst ourselves to bring our own Ranking Tool (system) to tell us ranking
    if thats what we truelly wanted..

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  11. citruscommerce

citruscommerce Peon

Best Answers:
    Anyone report sites for buying and selling links in the webmaster portal in google? lol!

They won't get rid of Pagerank, but it might just be a part of their algo, not something public. Although I must admit, it is fun to check sites. :)

citruscommerce, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  12. NRLMedia

NRLMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Regardless of what you all say, Pagerank is the fundamental final justification of a site.

If Alive Directory was a Pagerank 0, regardless of the promotion, 90% of the webmaster community would not submit to it.

It's the truth and you know it.

Pagerank makes or breaks a directory. You don't see $xx,xxx revenue per month from a Pagerank 0 directory. Period.

NRLMedia, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  13. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Your right to an extent but its the "backlinks" and "Relevance" that move a site up in all engines not the PR and if it does then its by very little % of actual algo.

"Yahoo" gets daily submission requests and i dont think that yahoo is or ever was worried about that little "green bar" so why should anyone else.

Yes probably correct ...so hey wheres the bunnies? lol

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  14. tmeyer45458

tmeyer45458 Peon

Best Answers:
    Google will do whatever they want to do...because they can...they have the resources to do that, providing they stay w/in the limits of the law. The more people search the web w/google the more google makes. The better there results, the more people search google, and in turn..the more google makes.

That said, how many "not-web-savvy" people know about pagerank? What school teacher or plumber checks the PR of a site before trusting it? Those who understand PR are a very small percentage and most stand to gain or lose.

If they get rid of pagerank, someone else will come up w/a way to measure the value of a site. There are plenty of people/companies wanting to leverage the opportunities that google passes up or lets go...once pagerank is dropped it should be interesting to see who becomes the next "trusted" provider of the new metric that measures the "value" of a site

tmeyer45458, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  15. britishguy

Best Answers:
    Nick what you have posted may well reflect on a small but significant sector of the web market, but in general terms we have a directory that dates back to 2000 (rarely referred to on DP) and has 6000 Reviews and about another 6000 queueing to have a Review and would estimate that 90% of the Review owners would not know what a PR is even if it 'hit them in the face' but they all want to be listed with a displaying Review

Once again as always Service, traffic, features etc is much much more important than 3rd party monitoring tools or gimmicks

And more important the revenue is greater for all who build a Directory that provides a genuine and quantifyable service :cool:

16. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Number 1 when Alive had no page rank it was still getting lots of submissions, number 2 if there was no page rank then no directories would have page rank and other ways of ranking would just become more popular.

jg123, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  17. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    I think PR is a low substitute for Traffic if you can deliver quality targeted converting traffic you can have PR -1 and even be banned :) and still ask whatever you want for a listing. From my experience getting quality traffic is harder than getting PR.

! Ask !, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  18. NRLMedia

NRLMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Small Sector? Digital Point is arguably the center point for directory owners. There is no atmosphere as active, as strong for promotion and information.

You personal views speak of such a small percentage of webmasters, specifically directory owners, who've surpassed the initial push of PR for their directories. You are now on level 2 for promoting for traffic and serp position. An everyday directory owner does not have the capital to promote enough for widespread directory recognition, they simply have to rely on the pagerank of their directory to survive. It's in the equation of justification.

Pagerank, regardless of what you try to say, is such a strong factor for directories to be justified strong. There are no strong PR0 directories.

On the last point, I could build the best quality directory on the net, but if it has no promotion and no pagerank, it would go nowhere.

I understand your points, but you can't overlook the importance of it in submission justification. Directories wouldn't exist in this day unless they offered an incentive to webmasters.

NRLMedia, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  19. NRLMedia

NRLMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    1. Only because of the promotion. Most webmasters do not have the budget MystikMedia had initially.

2. Pagerank is already a major player in the industry. You can't just take something away and "forget about it". Why would people promote directories with "PR _" or buy High PR links?

NRLMedia, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  20. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    how many of you are scared ??

ouch ... i am not because i dont care about Google PR...

If google eliminates toolbar pr than there is one thing i know for sure ... This google toolbar which is in my browser atm will be gone because i dont need it otherwise.

So lets see whats the future of google toolbar after PR being gone ==> Doop down the trash can ....

If PR went bye bye will it cost me to loose some traffic ??? NO ..... i am concerned with traffic as long as i have my users .... google can't do anything ...

and believe it or not .. one delayed update can't lead to such a big decision..

The truth is update was started and did some pages and kaboom finished ... or delayed or w.e u want to call it ... another 3 months ?? if google doesn't update ....

and Google.com (announce it on the homepage) than i will believe it ...

I won't believe Matt Cutt either ....

smub, Aug 9, 2007 IP
    funkymario likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.