1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dealing with payPal Canellations and Site Memberships

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by tsptom, Feb 4, 2006.

Has anyone dealt with this:

My site is set up to accept PayPal payments with a recurring monthly payment. If someone wants to cancel I have code in place to set their account on my site to inactive. However if they cancel through PayPal (outside of my site) I get an email from PayPal saying someone cancelled showing their Paypal email address so I have to manually inactivate the account on my site. The problem is I am not always sure how to relate that particular PayPal account to a member of my site.

I use email addresses as usernames on my site but that email address is not always the same as their PayPal email address. You can see the problem is they can cancel payment but they can continue with the service if I can't figure out who it is. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,

tsptom, Feb 4, 2006 IP
  2. soj

soj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    instead of having a recurring monthly payment, why dont u make it so members can subscribe in however many month intervals as they wish. this would make it so members would not have to cancel their subscriptions, if not wanted anymore. and you would not have the problem, but this change may be too radical for your application.

our game site runs a subscription service (actually "donation" service) and they buy monthly packages of the subscription, for however many months they wish, and they usually always renew or buy in advance. the URL is in my sig (life of crime)

soj, Feb 4, 2006 IP
  3. tsptom

tsptom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess that is a possibilty. Did you go that way because of this problem?

The reason it is a problem now is that I have been offering a free trial period and the members will start being billed if they don't cancel before the trial ends.

Thanks for the reply.
    Tom

tsptom, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  4. Cutter

Cutter Peon

Best Answers:
    If you don't do recurring, your subscription rate will drop.

Cutter, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Can't you pass an order ID with the subscription with which you can reference the user?

T0PS3O, Feb 6, 2006 IP