1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dead HP laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cobnut, May 13, 2009.

A friend has asked me to help with his HP laptop. It was running Vista but had problems and another 'friend' has helpfully deleted the C: partition while attempting to reinstall. The HP Recovery partition is still there and still appears to contain data (based on used disk space - I haven't browsed it yet).

Is there a way I can get into this and do a rebuild? I'm hoping - at the moment - that if I use a Vista recovery disk I can get to some kind of command prompt or at least have the opportunity to search the recovery partition for I386 or whatever. Does any know if a product ID will be needed or will it be unattended from a recovery partition build?

If this isn't possible, any other ideas? Unfortunately he's got absolutely no discs of any kind - not even a boot recovery.

Jon

Cobnut, May 13, 2009 IP
  2. .htaccess

.htaccess Peon

Best Answers:
    Remove HDD, attach it to other PC/Laptop - backup data and reinstall the OS..

.htaccess, May 13, 2009 IP
  3. Cobnut

Cobnut Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm a bit (well quite a lot) reluctant to start pulling HDDs and I don't really see the need in this case. The laptop boots OK and will boot off a system CD so surely I should be able to work from that position with the HDD in place.

Jon

Cobnut, May 13, 2009 IP