1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DDR4 RAM HYPE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FrontEndDev, Feb 9, 2016.

Has anyone here built a gaming pc with the new DDR4 RAM? Does it live up to all the hype?

FrontEndDev, Feb 9, 2016 IP
  2. scurvy

scurvy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No- benchmarks show zero difference compared to DDR3 in everyday apps and games.

scurvy, Feb 10, 2016 IP
  3. uniquesolutions

uniquesolutions Member

Best Answers:
    I think DDR3 and DDR4 are almost same in nature.

uniquesolutions, Mar 7, 2016 IP
  4. Rado_

Rado_ Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think that DDR4 would take effect when the memory is stupidly huge. Something like 512 gigs of RAM or more.

Rado_, Mar 10, 2016 IP
  5. uniquesolutions

uniquesolutions Member

Best Answers:
    To the best of my knowledge ddr4 and ddr3 has a very little difference.

uniquesolutions, Mar 11, 2016 IP
  6. wootriffic

wootriffic Member

Best Answers:
    ddr3 capped at 2133 (the ram i have) and ddr4 started at 2133.
    ddr4 has a slower latency than ddr3, so theres a bit of a trade off when it comes to ram. without getting too technical lest just say you'll never see the difference between the two, but there is "for 2133", side by side.

ddr4 jumps up to 3400, this is great news for onboard/apu gamers, because the system memory is shared with the gpu side of the cpu. faster = better for gaming.
    this same thing holds true for all things with the pc, the less of a bottleneck, the faster things can run.
    You dont really see much of a difference unless you fill in all of your ram slots.
    think of ram like a highway, you can pack 8 cars onto a single lane all going 65mph, that's great, we're all getting to our destination quickly.
    but once you add in another ram chip, another 8 cars can ride right beside them doing 65mph.
    What this translates to in a pc, is the cpu clock speed per core can be more effective when you've filled all your slots because it can use all the lanes at a single time to saturate the ram. a single stick will be the cpu and gpu bottleneck.
    Now if you plan on getting 16gb of ram, i wouldnt suggest doing 4x 4gb unless you never want to upgrade further. In practice it will be quicker, but limit you if you want 32gb down the road or you'll waste money throwing that ram out and getting 8gb sticks.

2x 4gb sticks will outperform 1x 8gb stick.

Back on topic, You'll have performance improvements with ddr4, provided you're using faster ram than 2133, saturate your lanes with it, and keep your chipsets and drivers up to date*. (sometimes updates can actually slow things down to fix stability issues, so i added an asterisk.) will you visually see these differences, maybe, depends on your system, game, etc.

wootriffic, Apr 8, 2016 IP
  7. Sionechin

Sionechin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    DDR4 offers the best capacity and bandwidth.

Sionechin, Nov 27, 2016 IP