1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Database vs. HTML based website?

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by rahman15, Feb 18, 2006.

This is probably a basic question. Bear with me for my ignorance.
    Does it make any difference to search engines between a databases driven website or html based website?
    I am building a database driven article submission website. Will it have any effect on ranking if I use database.

Thanks,
    Rahman15
    http://www.everydayarticles.com/

rahman15, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  2. sligowaths

sligowaths Peon

Best Answers:
    The search engine can´t know if your site is db driven or a bunch of static html files.
    But its know that SEs like and visit more often sites which URL look static(e.g : produtcs.html; play-sudoku.html; /play/sudoku/1/; /article/some-seo-tips/) than ugly URLs (e.g viewtopic.php?t=123&sid=123abe123123fdca123123&last=123 ...)

sligowaths, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  3. rahman15

rahman15 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That mean you are saying it is better to have static html pages than database driven pages? Since SEs like them better?
    Thanks

rahman15, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  4. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    It is best to have the pages appear static.

This can be achieved by making a standard database driven website and then using mod rewrite to alter the url's so they look like static ones.

mad4, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  5. Durty Don

Durty Don Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly what mad4 said, make it database driven to make it easier on you in the long run but appear static to the SE's. Plus your alot more likely to pop up in the search if your page has a name instead of a long a$$ number.

Durty Don, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  6. AWD1

AWD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    SE's don't necessarily rank pages better or worse because they are or don't appear to be dynamic. They've never had a problem with dynamic pages in and of themselves.

The problems with dynamic pages (that I know of) are threefold:
    1. When a dynamic page contains a querystring that doesn't necessarily equate to dynamic content (e.g. an affiliate ID). This leads to duplicate content and the potential for abuse.
    2. Dynamic pages containing the ID querystring. Google, among others, has openly stated that they don't want any part of pages containing ID querystrings (although for some strange reason, they'll index pages containing an id querystring...not sure why it's case-sensitive).
    3. Dynamic pages containing session hashes in querystrings. Why this is done for a session, I'll never know. But since a session is unique to a user, the internal link will differ for each user as well.

ESPN.com, for example, has many querystring-based dynamic pages and their rankings are fine. I've always suspected it was a factor, but not a significant one.

Having said that, I personally prefer URLs that appear to be static just because they're slightly easier to read from the user standpoint.

Your bigger issue is going to be trying to promote your site in an oversaturated market. There are so many article submission sites out there that the concept has been slaughtered (which sucks for those of us who write some decent stuff and get indirectly punished for it.)

AWD1, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  7. rahman15

rahman15 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am really newbie in web development. Can someone please forward me to recourse about 'mod rewrite’?
    I tried to read forum threads but seem like everyone has some background and I having difficulty to understand what they are talking about.
    FYI… I am using PHP and MySQL to develop my site.
    Thanks,

rahman15, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  8. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    The mod rewrite forum is the place to look.

Basically if you have a page called domain.com/articles.php?cat=internet&id=3456 you can use mod rewrite so that the url is domain.com/articles/internet/3456

The actual page script is in the same place as before and unless you redirect the old page to the new page you can reach them both at the different urls.

Mod rewrite just means that if your server sees the /articles/internet/3456 url it knows to access the articles.php script.

The best thing is to post the url you want to alter and the format you want it changing to and somebody can alter your htaccess file as needed.

I was a newbie at this and figured it out in a few hours - its really not hard once you know what it can do.

mad4, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  9. wkd

wkd Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are going to use dynamic pages, it would be a good idea to think about your meta-tags. What will the Keywords, Description, and Title tag be automatically configured based on the content? Many dynamic sites do not actually add unique meta-tags, which I know are not as important as they use to be, but every little bit helps.

I would also think about how the dynamic site will limit your ability to write articles that have code examples or complicated displays of code text.

wkd, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  10. sligowaths

sligowaths Peon

Best Answers:
    AWD1,

I agree you everything you said, but ESPN.com has a good ranking, but they are on the market for years, have thousands of backlinks, a PR8, they have some kind of "authority" on their nich, etc..

Because this I think they don´t have to care about nice looking URLs, but if you are making a new website, IMHO, its fundamental to use nice URLS, a clean and valid xhtml code, meta tags(as wkd said), etc etc

sligowaths, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  11. AWD1

AWD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is true, sligowaths. The point that I was trying to make, however, is that you don't have to use modified URLs. The other factors can make up for it, depending on the size of your site and the keywords that you target.

AWD1, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  12. sligowaths

sligowaths Peon

Best Answers:
    AWD1,
    Now I got the point.
    Thanks for your reply!

sligowaths, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  13. AWD1

AWD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    No prob, Bob. Hopefully others learned from our intellectually charged and high-octane connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition as well.

AWD1, Feb 21, 2006 IP