1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Database design for ecommerce site

Discussion in 'Databases' started by adammc, Feb 13, 2007.

Hi Guys,

I am looking to design an ecommerce site with categorised products.
    Once built, I want my client to be able to add additional categories and be abel to add their products into their chosen category.

Would I be best displaying this dynamnically after creating a table with the products category names in it or doing it static?

Also, if I wanted to show a different header / meta tags for weach category how would I best tie this in?

I have designed a few ecommerce sites in the past but have done it the hard way, creating each individual category page!

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated :)

adammc, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  2. Corey Bryant

Corey Bryant Texan at Heart

Best Answers:
    Most of the databases I have seen have a table in it, say called categories. In this, it might have a category description, category title (maybe name to display if different than title), parent category (if you are supporting multiple categories), an order function so if the customer wants to order the categories a certain way, maybe to make the category active / inactive, and to show or not show on the home page

Corey Bryant, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  3. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What Corey suggested is probably the best way to go. In addition to this, you can also put in a meta tag field to store meta information for individual categories.
    Bye :)

JEET, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  4. adammc

adammc Peon

Best Answers:
    great advice, thank you :)

How would I then best build the page that shows the products and differnent metas in each category?
    I have done it the hard way in the past, creating static category pages.

adammc, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  5. Corey Bryant

Corey Bryant Texan at Heart

Best Answers:
    You would use a server side language (ASP, .NET, PHP) to just pull the information from the databases

Corey Bryant, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  6. Munk

Munk Peon

Best Answers:
    Why write from scratch? I'd look in to x-cart (paid), zen-cart (open-source) or one of the many other available off-the-shelf packages.

Munk, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  7. ruby

ruby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Check oscommerce.com, it is the best e-commerce solution with a massive forum and help there at your fingertips. I used oscommerce as the platform for my own online shop and we do very well.

ruby, Feb 17, 2007 IP