1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Data Export/Import

Discussion in 'Optigold ISP' started by jmobley, Nov 10, 2006.

I've spoken with Shawn in the office and he has gotten me really close to where I need to be. Thanks Shawn!

Situation: I am merging two OptiGold databases. I have exported and imported Customer Data and (again thanks to Shawn) it worked just fine. Now I am attempting to move payments, billing cycle, emails etc. and it is not working at all. The PC goes through all the motions on import but no data is actually added. I am using the export structure outlined in the prompts given on import. And it appears in the map that the data is sorted correctly before I hit the import button.

The only thing I can think of is that b/c all the customer numbers have changed for the imported database that the payment information doesn't "line up" anymore. But from what I can tell all the information is sorted by login not customer number.

Any guidance would greatly be appreciated!

Joe

jmobley, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  2. jmobley

jmobley Guest

Best Answers:
    Update:
    I was able to import the payments of current (annoying but we can live with that) customers only by substituting the Logon field with clogon.

I have followed the layout provided by the popups during the import process and the complete layout provided by the data map in the import process, both with no success.

I have called numerous times Thurs., Fri., and Sat. of last week and was not even able to leave a message b/c the mailbox was full. We have purchased lifetime customer support and I'd appreciate it if that support was actually made available to us. I am not intending to sound "smart" here but this is really getting frustrating.

jmobley, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Is there any sort of error you get when importing (for the items that are not importing properly)?

Side note: What's your company name? We have never sold a lifetime phone support plan (only annual), so I'll need to double check if somehow someone create a one-off plan for your company somehow.

digitalpoint, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  4. jmobley

jmobley Guest

Best Answers:
    First it would appear that I was misinformed and as such apologize. I dug up the invoice and it says unlimited Email tech support. As far as my company, we have purchased it twice, one under Rutherford County Internet. The other would either be IBR Communications or Internet Blueridge. These were purchased long before I started working here. But I can say that we wouldn't mind a bit to pay for phone tech support if we can get a hold of someone.

Unfortunately there is no error. Everything appears to go smoothly but the information just isn't there. It all appears to be centered around the Login field. When I look at the info in the data map right before import, usually the Login field is blank (which would explain why it doesn't work). The only way I have been successful is finding other Login fields, such as the cLogin I mentioned earlier. Unfortunately, that only works for payments.

Since I posted earlier I did manage to get the Email info and part of Billing Cycle transfered. I am trying fresh again to alleviate multiple failed imports as the cause for only part of the Billing Cycle info being transfered.

I do appreciate the response and any suggestions you may have!

jmobley, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The Login field that exists in any file (other than the customer file) you should assume would be blank (it may not always be the case, but for practical purposes it would be).

To get the customer's login, you would want to do the export in "Power User" mode, then when you get to the field list (where you pick the fields you want to export), you should have a drop-down list above the field list on the left. That will let you pull the login from the customer table via a join/relationship. So for payments (as an example), the field for login would be Customer::Login ("Customer" being the name of the relationship in the drop-down list).

digitalpoint, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  6. jmobley

jmobley Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks again for the replies.

Your above directions worked for payments and emails however I am still have no success with billing cycles. As long as we have the customer data, payments, emails and billing cycles we can get by.

I've tried every combination (as far as fields and their relationships) I can think of to export it and it does one of two things. It adds multiple records to a customer and blanks for the next 5-10 and then multiples for one customer again or it just puts in blanks for each.

I checked the tab file and it was exporting many blank lines at random spots. So I removed them but still received the first result as stated above.

I am rather clueless.

jmobley, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The Line Item table is a little unique in that it stores two kinds of line items... ones on invoices and customer billing cycles.

Because of that there are a few different relationships that are different based on the data you need. If you are exporting billing cycle data, make sure you pull login with the Billing Cycle Customer relationship (Billing Cycle Customer::Login).

digitalpoint, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  8. jmobley

jmobley Guest

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately when I do that I end up with the same result as I mentioned above. It will only let me view the first record before doing the import but it appears correct. There is the correct login for that customer and the correct billing cycle label or what have you.

I have tried:
    Customer::Login
    Login (the one provided in the Line_Items)
    Billing Cycle Customer::Login
    Billing Cycle Item::Login

I've tried every Login I can find. And for the other I have tried every Product ID I can find as well.

I would assume though that the correct ones to use are Billing Cycle Customer::Login and Billing Cycle Data::product ID

Any ideas? Thanks again.

jmobley, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You should not get Product ID through a relationship, get that one through the "Current File".

10. jmobley

jmobley Guest

Best Answers:
    I was pretty sure I had tried it but for grins I just did it again with the same results as posted earlier. thanks for staying with this.

jmobley, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hmmm... if you look at the file, what does the output look like (can you post a line or two)?

12. jmobley

jmobley Guest

Best Answers:
    Sure!

This is with these fields: Billing Cycle Customer::Login and the current file Product ID. I purposefully replaced the Logins with x's for spamming purposes.

After I last posted I did look through the database more thoroughly and it would appear that most or all of those customers listed as Annually did get labeled as such in billing data and every great once in awhile (1 in 30ish or so) the odd extra email or domain would show up. The rest either have nothing or multiple blank listings.

I appreciate the help!!

jmobley, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Okay, so the export part seems to be working okay, right? (Assuming those are your Products IDs)...

If that's the case, do you see *anything* after the import? Like maybe just a product ID, but no description/price, or?

14. jmobley

jmobley Guest

Best Answers:
    The only ID's we get are those listed with all the info we need. The rest are just blanks. Some have multiple blanks and some have nothing. The only consistent description for those that are blank or what have you is this "Customer Gets"X

All records have this (X being a number) Some say 0 some say up to 8 that I've seen.

And yes, as far as I can tell the export goes just fine. And there are no errors on import either. Also, yes those are our Product ID's. And that I've seen (I haven't gone through all of them...too many) if the record contains the product id, it contains the price and description. As I said, I am at a total loss.

jmobley, Nov 14, 2006 IP