1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Data-Center Differences

Discussion in 'Google' started by Owlcroft, Apr 10, 2004.

The interesting tool at McDar that shows the results from several Google data centers for the same search terms at the same moment gives results that puzzle me.

There are seven centers shown. For a given search-term set, one of my sites shows these placement results: 39 - 25 - 38 - 38 - 39 - 39 - 39. While I would be (reluctantly) willing to write off that 25 as just a chance variation, the fact is that when I call an actual search, that is the result I get a majority of the time, perhaps (I haven't been counting) a large majority. Moreover, this is a fairly steady and persistent difference: it has been that way for at least days, and I reckon from memory, weeks, meaning across the recent Google juggling, so it is not just the blind chance of a given moment.

Some questions, then:

1. Are the centers geographic? That is, do I see a given center more often because of where I am?

2. Are the centers more or less equally served, or do I perhaps see one more often because it carries a much higher load than some others?

3. Why the sharp difference at one center compared to another?

Owlcroft, Apr 10, 2004 IP
  2. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Eric,
    At the top of the columns are IP addresses. Which datacenter are you referring to?
    Caryl

mcdar, Apr 10, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Google data centers are geographic... your physical location will give you a higher probability of hitting a certain one (www.google.com uses a data center not listed on mcdar's tool for me about 50% of the time for example). If that one is under high load, I'll be routed to another one that is under less load.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Apr 10, 2004 IP
  4. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Caryl:

I refer to 216.239.39.99 (I had not noticed the headings before because Privoxy blocks them as if they were ads, but I turned it off to look).

The exact numbers have jiggled very slightly, but that site remains--for my terms--wildly out of synch with the others (favorably to me).

I am in eastern Washington State.

Owlcroft, Apr 10, 2004 IP
  5. Voyager

Voyager Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey Mcdar! Your Google Datacenter Watch Tool is awesome. Thanks very much for creating it!

Of course, in deference to our host, I should also mention that the Digital Point Keyword Tracker is the best tool ever. :)

Voyager
    Webmaster: The Hack FAQ

Voyager, Apr 11, 2004 IP
  6. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Eric,

Boy that is odd. I currently have a phrase that comes up 13 and 14 across all banks ACCEPT the ones labled as "NEW". In that set I rank 3 and 4.

I made a modification to the pages and thought that maybe it was just the effect of the change "working it's way" into the system but no other keywords I check for are showing similar results.

I really can't explain it.

mcdar, Apr 11, 2004 IP
  7. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn,

The datacenter 216.239.53.99 was listed on the Datacenter Tool. It was in the ".99" bank of results.

But - the Easter Bunny brought you something this morning - go take a look. ;)

mcdar, Apr 11, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What? Did I miss it? :)

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Apr 11, 2004 IP
  9. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, it was there. But this morning I made a change and now it is in the first frame of the www - akadns bank.

mcdar, Apr 11, 2004 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah baby! :)

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Apr 11, 2004 IP
  11. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Everyone is discussiong and raving aboput this tool, but I missed the original posting. What is the URL? I want to get in on the fun.

compar, Apr 11, 2004 IP
  12. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Bob,

It is the top tool listed in my signature.

Caryl

mcdar, Apr 11, 2004 IP