1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Daily Visitors and Marketing

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by joshril, Mar 22, 2005.

My site has been up about 3 weeks and I have been getting a fair amount of visitors on a daily basis. I have been doing SEO and putting the site in several directories and talking in forums a groups. I also just placed a month long ad in American Classifieds which was incredibly inexpensive. What else can I do to keep the hits coming in. I don't have 6+ hours everyday to do marketing, and it feels like my traffic is starting to level off. Any ideas?? Also, what kind of traffic can I legitimately expect this early on?? Any feedback will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

joshril, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  2. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Your search engine traffic would depend on the popularity of the subject, one of my very first personal sites was all about Tattoos as I knew there was tons of traffic available.

If your looking to improve traffic I guess we would need to know the site/topic, I personally advertised on one of the most popular sites in my genre that was a non-competitor, that works for me as I am not generally an ecommerce/selling site more hobby/interest so you can look to advertise on sites higher up the search engine rankings if you think you can monetize the traffic to cover it.

sji2671, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  3. joshril

joshril Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah... My site is more informational and a resource more than anything. It's a free software and spyware removal site. www.amarillocomputerguy.com. Also in my sig. Any more feedback in relation to my original comment would be much appreciated. Thanks!

joshril, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Entirely depends on the subject.

If it's e-tailing you can submit to Froogle and others like shopwhale for free.

If it's service based then gentle pitching in forums is definitely a good one.

You can join the Co-op for free traffic as well.

You can submit press releases through PRweb etc.

You can try and get on USAtoday and other popular portals if you have something unique.

Etc. Etc.

T0PS3O, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  5. BusinessGuy

BusinessGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    One of the best things to do is to expand your marketing campaign beyond the internet and advertise to your local city/town/neighbourhood in related magazines and stores. Your local newspaper is also a great place.

BusinessGuy, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  6. joshril

joshril Guest

Best Answers:
    I had just put a classified ad in the American Classifieds, which shows up in print in Amarillo as the Thrifty Nickel. I don't know how effective this will be, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

joshril, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  7. BusinessGuy

BusinessGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, ok sorry. I thought American Classifieds was online :) (Im Canadian btw).
    You can still print off some ads and get local stores to post them somewhere in the store. (front window maybe?)

BusinessGuy, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  8. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    You can't expect a site to start getting big trafic after 3 weeks. Took me severla months to get my site well established.

fryman, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  9. joshril

joshril Guest

Best Answers:
    i had one day where i had about 800 visitors... but my average has been about 100-250/day...

joshril, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  10. joshril

joshril Guest

Best Answers:
    Oh.. and no prob BusinessGuy... thanks for the input!

joshril, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  11. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    250 a day after 3 weeks is quite good. Hang on and be patient. Keep getting new backlinks and improving your content if you can.

fryman, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  12. joshril

joshril Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice... I've been spending several hours per day doing promotion...

joshril, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  13. jared

jared Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah man you are off to a great start for the time you have been up.

One of my new sites has been up around 2-3 weeks and I have only gotten 50 unique hits. My Coop weight is at 2 despite the fact I submitted to about 30 or so directories! :eek:

Just keep doing what your doing, because you're on a roll.

jared, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  14. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IMO, your site needs more content. I've seen spyware pages with much better info and freeware download sites with much greater selections to choose from. I'm not seeing your site as something than can compete well in either sector right now. Sorry to sound negative, but if you really want to draw in traffic, you need to provide a resource that people will be willing to recommend over the alternatives IMO.

Bernard, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  15. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Spyware is a terribly difficult term to rank well. I have been suffering a lot with a spyware site. Even with all my knowledge of the MSN algo, after many weeks I am still ranked at the 2 hundreds for my terms, while it usually takes me a couple of weeks to get a good rankings.

fryman, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  16. joshril

joshril Guest

Best Answers:
    I started my site as a resource on the side of my business for a local market... There is a population of about 750,000 within about a 70 mile radius. Unfortunately, I don't have as much time as I would like to put content on the site. Right now, doing local advertising, I have been doing pretty well, and my thinking is as I ad new content weekly, by the time my local market is saturated, I will have a ton of content on the site and some really good reciprocal linkings. I appreciate the input on the content, but I know what the shortfalls of the content are and I am more concerned with marketing ideas. I know not too many people nationally are going to go to google and put in amarillo spyware, but I am ranked number one right now, and in the beginning stages where most of my traffic is local, I feel like the slow addition of content will be sufficient. I really appreciate everyone's input and just looking for more marketing ideas...

Thanks

joshril, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  17. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    If you are looking for regional advertising, car ads are a great idea. Put up some nice vynil banners with your URL on the doors or on the rear window and drive around. People are curious and will sure want to know what the site is about.

fryman, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  18. joshril

joshril Guest

Best Answers:
    Good idea...

joshril, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  19. jared

jared Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah that works too! The old computer shop I use to work for had giant magnet banners (maybe 1x3 feet?) to put on the side of our vehicles while we were driving around on call and such. Then if for some reason you didn't want it on there, you could just peel it off. If I recall it was a pretty cheap solution and seemed to be a fairly effective way for advertising locally.

Good Luck :)

jared, Mar 22, 2005 IP