1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

cyrillic characters with php 4.3.0

Discussion in 'PHP' started by ojav, May 27, 2005.

I'm a newbie to both php and mysql, so my question may sound elementary, but nonetheless I haven't been able to figure this out.

I am designing a website with also a Russian version. This far I have been able to insert cyrillic characters to mysql through the terminal on my mac (the server is Linux, distro is Sol). Obviously I need "koi8_ru" character set on the Php as well, but I haven't been able to figure out the way to do it. Moreover, somewhere on the php.net -page I got the impression that this character set would be supported from only Php 4.3.2 onwards.

So do I have to upgrade Php on my server, or is it possible to use cyrillic characters on 4.3.0? I wouldn't want to upgrade unless it is absolutely necessary, because my skills with Linux are still somewhat scarce, and I am afraid that the server might be down for days (or maybe weeks if something goes really amiss!!) .

And, whether I need to upgrade or not, is there a (simple!) HOWTO somewhere explaining what I need to do with PHP? Or if the process is really simple, could someone here tell how I should go about with these cyrillic characters?

ojav, May 27, 2005 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Your best option would be to use the Unicode (UTF-8) charset. Supports any language (not just cyrillic), and works fine with pretty much everything these days (including MySQL and PHP).

digitalpoint, May 27, 2005 IP