1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Customizing the Archive (vBulletin) - Help Needed

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Dominic, Mar 18, 2006.

I have vBulletin Version 3.5.3

I's like to add a custom header with images and links also a footer with same - including some adsense, but keep nuking the archive when I try.

I was able to do it with the older version of the forums but since I know nothing about php, it's always been guess work.

Previously I changed index.php and it worked. Is it global.php that I alter now?

Where in the code do I enter it to place a header and a footer and what code do I use to input an image, adsense and a text link?

I'd really like to get this going as it's costing me adsense revenue since I've upgraded and can't have adsense there ~ more search traffic hits the archive than the actual forum. They aren't interested in the forum usually but I was earning some clicks off that traffic.

Plus for those interested in the forums but don't admin a VB forum and realize what an archive is, I'd like to again place a banner highlighting it's only an archive, click here to join everyone in the active forum.

Cheers in advance, please post sample code if you can and point me to where in the existing template I can insert the code.

Dominic, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's probably best to use plug-ins wherever possible so you don't have to redo it on an upgrade.

For example the archive_postheader hook location is triggered at the top of the page and archive_complete at the bottom.

Just create plug-ins for those locations and have them just echo whatever you want out... for example:
    echo 'Whatever you want in the header';
    PHP:

digitalpoint, Mar 19, 2006 IP
  3. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    there is a hack on vB.org, Put Adsense Banners in Your Archive - you can use that to put other things in your header and footer, and since its a plugin you dont have to reinstall after upgrades.

-

joeychgo, Mar 20, 2006 IP