1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Custom PHP or Open Source (Magento)

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by jadenviiv, Feb 23, 2013.

I am new to internet business, I have been doing various of website development and haven't determine which solution I have adapt to my business, hope you guys can give me some advise.

A lot of people say using Magent & Opencart, I know it is open source and I can use it for free, due to we need it in professional issue, we have consult with different developer.

Some of the developer say they are using their own solutions which is custom PHP with custom CMS.

Custome PHP with custom CMS is slight cheaper, but both Custom PHP and Magento is same function.

If you were me, Which one should choose?

(At Last, Please correct me if I have using wrong Terms)

Thank you

Jaden

jadenviiv, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  2. SagarRox

SagarRox Active Member

Best Answers:
    It really boils down to affordability & the requirements of the site and how easily they can be implemented on whatever script you are using. Assess the requirements, read about features etc and then decide.

SagarRox, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  3. hasan

hasan Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is no point to re-invent wheel again. You can't develop a robust e-commerce platform like Magento in your new business.

So, my recommendation would be Magento.

hasan, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  4. muffet

muffet Active Member

Best Answers:
    Go with Magento (or even Prestashop) I agree with hasan, don't reinvent the wheel unless you're going to build and deploy an eCommerce portal which Magento or any other open-source eCommerce application can't handle out the gate. You can expand Magento's standard cart features with custom extensions from the Magento Connect marketplace or develop your own custom extensions for Magento to meet the requirements of your website and its users.

muffet, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  5. nmridul

nmridul Member

Best Answers:
    Open source is not just about being free. Its about the brains behind the project. If you choose popular opensource project, you are getting excellent developers (some of the best in the industry) working on your product.

So if your needs can be satisfied by configuring / minor changes to any popular open source project, go for it.

Custom solutions have its own problems. Mainly - the developer or company that develops it may not be there any more after a year or 2. Even if the company is alive, they might have discontinued the product to concentrate on something else. And you will be left with a system that is outdated with security issues and that you cannot upgrade because you in most case may not have the original design.
    With opensource, if one company closes shop, you still have the source code and other companies that will provide you the required support.

nmridul, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  6. jadenviiv

jadenviiv Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you every......it was very useful advise

jadenviiv, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  7. ugod

ugod Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Magento anytime

# Saves a lot time
    # Easy to customize
    # Lots of modules available
    # You will not need to work hard on coding anything as almost everything is readily available as built in feature or free component.

ugod, Mar 1, 2013 IP