1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Custom Category Meta Description and Keywords SEO Question

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Mkcoy, Mar 29, 2015.

I think this is in the right place. Feel free to shoot me down if not. Here goes!

Okay so I was looking at the HTML and meta description for my WordPress category.

I'm using All-In-One SEO Plugin. I noticed that for my category meta description it's using the description I saved for that Category. But it's not using all of it. Is exerted.

I also noticed that it's using the keywords for one of the first posts under that category as the meta keywords for it.

So here's my questions.

How to create a custom meta description for each category?
    How to set meta keywords for each category too?
    Can anyone recommend me a good plugin for it?

I want separate category description which I'll show on the site and separate category meta description/keywords too.

I feel this would be much better for SEO and usability.

For site http://dronewatchdogs.com

Thanks!!

PS. I did ask on the plugins support page too here. But figured there might be some heads here who have past pondered on this and done something about it. If so, what did you do!?

Mkcoy, Mar 29, 2015 IP
  2. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    Typical of bloated WP crap the site is full of errors. The validator reports 40; most of a serious nature:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://dronewatchdogs.com/#&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

I don't know if the so-called SEO plugin generated the code with errors. If it did dump it because it is doing you more harm than good.

From an SEO perspective the page is a big failure. Aside from all the bloated crap, it is too image heavy and has virtually nothing of value above the fold. The three things that will give you grief from Google are errors in the code; you have a lot. The screwed up h1 tag (that needs to contain a title describing the pages, never an image; and the title sucks. It is the name of the site when it should be the title of the page. As for keywords in the head, they are worth just about nothing. The SEs no longer give them any weight because they are subject to abuse, and improperly used out of context in the body text, can even cause negative results.

The content in addition to being below the fold is just tiny fragments plus a link so this page is going to score low on content. Overall the best grade you could expect for a page like that is C- and the plugin is worth about as much as pound of sand in the middle of the Sahara.

One final word. The small benefit you get from the facebook popup is more than offset by the loss of quality points from Google because popping it up in people face like that is bad for both usability and accessibility.

COBOLdinosaur, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  3. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What the heff does that all have to do with category meta description?

Some people just like the sound of their own voice too much.

Read my OP again. I never asked for a validation report.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Mkcoy, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  4. COBOLdinosaur

Best Answers:
    You are obviously trying to improve SEO, and looking for an SEO plugin. Neither is going to help if the page is trash. Google does not care what plugin you use, what keywords you use, and what your meta description looks like, if when the crawler gets there, it finds a load of trashed code and an apparent lack of any effort that cannot be automated by some gimmick plugin of the shelf.

So if you are not interested in actually dealing with SEO; good luck finding a plugin that will magically make you number one on the SERPs. See ya later.

5. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I never asked for Google / SEO / Crawler advice either..

I asked 3 simple questions..
    1. How to create a custom meta description for each category?
    2. How to set meta keywords for each category too?
    3. Can anyone recommend me a good plugin for it?
    Why you felt the need to bring up all that other stuff I don't know. I'm not looking for some magic seo plugin.

Google first looks at the content and compares it and checks if its unique or duplicate.
    It then looks at your sites age, PD, DA, backlinks etc and determines where you should rank for your main keywords.
    It doesn't look at a few small validation errors until last thing. Every site has validation errors. Google understands that.
    But everything you have said is moot because I already know of these things and will deal with them myself.
    All I asked was 3 simple questions about category meta description.

Mkcoy, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  6. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I tend to agree with you, to some extent, but you're wrong about one point, and that is the weight of validation errors - not to mention what kind of errors it is - Google has done quite a lot to do more based on accessibility and mobile-friendly sites - and checking for validation is one major point - and it shouldn't be taken lightly. Wrongly formatted (semantically) code is detrimental for high rankings, and should be fixed - of course it should also be fixed to allow for proper handling, correct behavior from javascript and so forth and so on.

PoPSiCLe, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  7. COBOLdinosaur

Best Answers:
    That was about 2011/2012, and they have done about 5 major changes in how they weight ranking factors. enjoy the past you live in.

8. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Changes shmanges. All that matters is backlinks and all that ever will matter is backlinks.

Well that and lots and lots of quality unique content and images.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Mkcoy, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  9. minionnz

minionnz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Back on topic:
    Try Yoast (https://yoast.com/wordpress/plugins/seo/) - it does the things you're looking for.

minionnz, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  10. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can you use Yoast alongside AISEOP?

Mkcoy, Mar 31, 2015 IP
  11. Ash Stronge

Ash Stronge Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, It is best to use one or the other- they both arrange your meta data, so best not to have both running at the same time.

Ash Stronge, Mar 31, 2015 IP
  12. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ah that's what I was worried about. I already have meta descriptions saved for my posts. Is there an import option perhaps?

Mkcoy, Mar 31, 2015 IP
  13. Ash Stronge

Ash Stronge Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is an import plugin available for Yoast, but not sure about all in one. Try this one:

http://labs.techtalkshq.com/smart-seo-data-csv-import-export/

Ash Stronge, Mar 31, 2015 IP