1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Current Market Rates For Writers

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Senobia, Dec 30, 2012.

1. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    No, I am a US based content provider. As I have said in other threads, I am a blog writer. Plus, I stick to particular niches I know very well, so research is limited for my posts. These two factors means my work can be more casual, even if I keep it well written. Factor in my 100+ word per minute typing speed and a natural talent for writing, and I make a very decent wage indeed.

Plus, all of my clients are long term ones who have worked with me and enjoy my individual style. Which means I don't have to conform on most projects to a specific format. It took me a few years to get to that point, but now that I am here, I am very happy with it.

I am sending you some samples via PM. I am also happy to send them to anyone else. :)

oo87, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  2. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    That is exactly the right attitude. I have had many potential buyers actually become insulting, telling me I was charging too much when they approached me for work. I am always polite, but I inform them that not only is my rate not at all high, but I have plenty of work on that rate. Sometimes so much I have to refer those clients to other writers because I have too many offers.

You are right, there is always someone else willing to pay what you ask for.

oo87, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  3. writeboywrite

writeboywrite Member

Best Answers:
    The truth is that content mills and sometimes low-end businesses that look to outsource are the ones creating a "market rate" that a lot of beginning writers especially take a look at and then despair. Getting paid $25 per blog post or less for blog postings that are often 350 words and up can be extremely discouraging.

One of the posters above was right though. Many times American writers especially are finding that there is a ton of competition from other countries where getting paid $5 to write a decent article is a decent wage for them. Thus...it FEELS like the market rate is being set by those who are willing to take less.

However, there ARE high paying writing jobs out there. Many times you will NOT find them through classifieds or forums such as Digital Point. You also won't find them on outsourcing, bidding sites like Odesk either.

If one is a brand new writer looking to make more...one needs to be more ambitious. Here's a small tip. Make a list of high end companies you want to work for...and then find out who the marketing manager or creative director is for each of these companies. Then make a point of getting them on the phone and getting your portfolio in front of their noses.

It takes more work...but then you work with them to set a price. The price is not dictated to you by people who really have no clue what copywriting actually is.

writeboywrite, Feb 13, 2013 IP
    oo87 likes this.
  4. smellyfinger

smellyfinger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." ;)

smellyfinger, Feb 16, 2013 IP
  5. Emma Pollard

Emma Pollard Active Member

Best Answers:
    As a new writer my rates are fairly competetive, I am currently building my portfolio so there isnt alot to show potential clients. However as my portfolio increases and my reputation grows, my rates will too. My prices are not so low as too be 'bargain basement' as I am a single parent and have a family to feed but I feel they are low enough to be competetive as I grow my business.

Emma Pollard, Feb 20, 2013 IP