1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Current demand for programming

Discussion in 'Programming' started by JimmiCanon, Sep 24, 2013.

Hello fellow forum dwellers, I'm wired into the internet today to ask a few questions regarding the demand for programming,
    This includes:
    What languages are in demand in this day and age
    What rates are currently considered average or normal for a paid programmer
    What the future offers as far as developing and developers go

This general curiosity is open to all other bits and bobs, two cents and opinions. Please share with me your advice for a beginning programmer, opinions on preferred languages and perhaps even a story about how you started programming or a tortuous time in your life that required the skill!

Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    JimmiCanon, Sep 24, 2013 IP
  2. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1- php , mysql etc are the easiest to make money from and get started.
    2- if you want to be relevant constantly, make sure you learn somethign of new things such as jquery etc etc, and for rest google is there.

competent123, Sep 24, 2013 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Get a job with a big company so that you learn "best practice" - a lot of the mistakes I see people make are simply because they don't know how to run a project, design, and build.

sarahk, Sep 24, 2013 IP
    EmmanuelFlossie likes this.
  4. syncotix

syncotix Member

Best Answers:
    Current and popular languages:
    C,C++, Java, PHP, Javascript, MYSQL are all still in high demand as far as I have seen. Python seems to also be gaining a little bit of popularity, also .NET stuff and C# are popular.

Rates:
    Depends where you are and what you are doing. I have seen all kinds of figures, if I had to guess an average of all jobs/levels I would roughly estimate £40/hour(UK), but you could easily get a lot more or a lot less. If you are in USA I would guess the same but converted to dollars. Other countries more or less depending on their economy etc.

My personal experience:
    Freelance web development for a few years(self taught). Now I am also experimenting with app/software development for mobile and desktop.
    Also in my free time I do a bit of music, first started as a way to get a break from programming once in a while... but I have ended up doing sound programming now for the music, which was not my original intention, but I am enjoying it too.

syncotix, Sep 25, 2013 IP
  5. Premmm

Premmm Member

Best Answers:
    I would say JAVA. Very few developers are found in the world because java is tough language as compared to others. Since, mobile application development is in peak position and java is crucial language for android app development. Well, other languages such as C and C++ are always good, no doubt.

Premmm, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  6. syncotix

syncotix Member

Best Answers:
    I would have to disagree with you there, that Java is a tough language, I actually believe it is easier than C or C++. You are right however that Java is still a crucial language, especially because of Android.

syncotix, Sep 26, 2013 IP
    CodeBeast likes this.
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I dabbled in java a few years ago, I didn't see anything particularly tricky about it once you got to grips with OO and inheritance etc but that's stuff you have to get used to anyway.

sarahk, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  8. hanady

hanady Member

Best Answers:
    I would say java, because it is really demanded. Most companies in my country try to see java programmers because they are not that many. I know java, html, css, a little js and assembly. But I would say that java is a gd way to start as a programmer anf it is very demanded.

It all comes back to your preference, if you want to learn web programming or mobile programming...
    If I were in your place and just starting to learn programming then I would learn java and would move on to android (you need basic understanding of java to learn android).

hanady, Sep 27, 2013 IP
  9. ShlomiKalfa

ShlomiKalfa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Any current (c#, c++,java, php, python ...... etc.) programming language will be profitable and in demand if you are good.
    However if you are looking to start with something fast and earn money (with no extensive programming background) I would suggest going into: html -> css -> php -> mysql -> javascript (in this order)
    learning those language is pissy easy there are many website that explain how and what to do including youtube videos.

ShlomiKalfa, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  10. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Let's be honest here Java isn't hard however it is the most bloated language and the most annoying. Add to it the fact that you'll always work with a library you know half way and things can get stressful pretty fast. Think I'm BSing ? Let me remind you of these 3 words : Java GUI Programming.

ApocalypseXL, Oct 9, 2013 IP
  11. CodeBeast

CodeBeast Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm a java developer and I can say that it is not so hard to learn, but there are some disadvantages, but this happens to every programming language. There is no perfect one made yet. What I have noticed is that these days you need to know php, sql and javascript in order to make some quick cash. In my honest opinion the language wich is rapidly gaining points is javascript as we already have many libraries as jquery, knockout js, jquery mobile and mutch more famous and infamous who are based on it. So again in my opinion javascript is on demand right now.

CodeBeast, Oct 10, 2013 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    java is serverside and therefore has no SEO impact
    javascript is clientside so there are lots of gotchas

sarahk, Oct 10, 2013 IP