1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CSS vs CSS3

Discussion in 'CSS' started by karmaa, Apr 20, 2011.

I not very deep into it but I know CSS. Just wondering what CSS3 is all about. Can anyone enlighten me on this matter and also if there are free tutorial sites for CSS3 then I would appreciated it. Thank you

karmaa, Apr 20, 2011 IP
  2. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    CSS3 is under development . You need to keep track of it as it's being released bit by bit .

ApocalypseXL, Apr 20, 2011 IP
  3. c.hill93

c.hill93 Member

Best Answers:
    CSS3 is the further development and upgrade of CSS; including new ways to do things such as having rounded borders or gradients. www.css3.info is your one stop shop I'm afraid; oh and Google.

c.hill93, Apr 20, 2011 IP
  4. Zetiz

Zetiz Active Member

Best Answers:
    CSS3 is an advanced version of CSS. It is still under development mode but many browsers have started supporting it long back. Newer versions of Mozilla, Chrome, Opera support CSS3 with some modifications in the code for each one of them.

Visit: www.css3.info to know more about CSS3. I use some of the CSS3 codes in my websites. They make your codes less complex as well as are easy to use.

Zetiz, Apr 20, 2011 IP
  5. karmaa

karmaa Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you guys for the information. That was really helpful. Cheers!

karmaa, Apr 21, 2011 IP
  6. sburst

sburst Peon

Best Answers:
    Am I correct in thinking IE9 is amongst those browsers supporting CSS3, or even partially?

sburst, May 12, 2011 IP
  7. radiant_luv

radiant_luv Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, however go for a modern browser like FF or Chrome.

radiant_luv, May 16, 2011 IP
  8. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    IE9 supports a small set of CSS3 properties and won't add any for another year. All the other browsers support far more and add new ones every 6-8 weeks.

Reason #9264 no one should use IE.

drhowarddrfine, May 16, 2011 IP
  9. sburst

sburst Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info.

sburst, May 16, 2011 IP
  10. Matt G

Matt G Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't know that either. Thank you too for the info :)

Matt G, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  11. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    To be fair, at least the ones IE9 supports work well in IE9 and don't drag the browser performance down into the 9th ring of hell -- unlike say firefox, where text-shadow on a hover causes a 100% cpu spike and a full second delay as if you were dealing with an old-school image load via javascript; or say box-shadow on scrolling elements that result in performance, well... just as bad as FF's behavior with background-position:fixed; which can make sites completely unusable.

Probably why they still have -moz before pretty much all of theirs -- "For testing, NOT for deployment" -- and does it show!!!

Singling out IE9 on CSS3; Not exactly fair given what a wreck the others are. From Opera's background-gradient not matching anyone else's, to Webkit's forcing all text vertical-align:top even into it's own padding if you even THINK about using web fonts... to Firefox having so slow a alpha blending engine you pretty much can't even think about deploying ANY of the CSS3 it allegedly supports...

Let's face it, all the browsers suck on this subject -- you'd think CSS3 was still in Draft or something.

deathshadow, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  12. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Uh, to be fair, CSS3 WORKS in modern browsers and, generally, does NOT work in IE9. And while we can look for improvements in those modern browsers, you will NEVER see improvements for them in IE9 and you must wait AT LEAST a year for IE10 to come out. And, even then, IE10 will be years behind all others in CSS3 support (along with everything else).

IE will always be the worst browser on the planet and years behind all others in modern standards and practices.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 4, 2011 IP
  13. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Depends on your definition of "works" -- at least the ones IE9 supports work WELL... as opposed to the crap that's been supported since FF 3.0 that STILL is painfully slow to the point of being unusable in FF.

Try applying this to an anchor and try it in FF.

a {
    	border:2px solid #800;
    }

a:hover {
    	color:#F55;
    	text-shadow:0 0 4px #F01,0 0 8px #F01;
    	border-color:#F12;
    	-moz-box-shadow:0 0 8px 2px #F00;
    	-webkit-box-shadow:0 0 8px 2px #F00;
     	box-shadow:0 0 8px 2px #F00;
    }

Code (markup):
    ... and enjoy the second it takes for the mouse-over to render in FF 4 like the old days when people used scripting to load off-site. If something like that is so painfully buggy you can't use it, I'd almost prefer it was omitted.

But then, that is what -moz means -- for testing, NOT for deployment... Which means NONE of the ALLEGED CSS3 support in FF is actually real world deployable... and webkit isn't much better on that front. It's sad when the only browsers where using them doesn't bring the users computer to it's knees are Opera and IE.

Though I suspect in a lot of ways that's the open source philosophy in action -- "close enough" seems to be the rally cry for it; where supported does not mean FULLY supported without either jumping through hoops or living with degraded usefulness.

deathshadow, Jun 4, 2011 IP
  14. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe on your planet, but here on earth, we developers have none of the issues you speak of and I'd rather have a browser that can handle a CSS3 property poorly rather than how IE9 does: not at all. That said, I'd rail against your claims as total BS (your example works fine in FF4 for me) but I'm moving and don't have time or the energy to teach you anything for a while.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 4, 2011 IP
  15. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    On e should know that not all CSS3 implementations are supported by all the browsers . For example Safari has a much better support then IE .

ApocalypseXL, Jun 5, 2011 IP
  16. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    So the hovers on this template for example:
    http://www.cutcodedown.com/for_others/FFCSS3Sucks/template.html

Do not bring your computer to it's knees in CPU use on hover? It's painfully slow on a i7 870, barely functional on a T7100 powered laptop, and completely unusable on an atom powered netbook -- in firefox. chrome is only marginally better across the board, while in Opera it's as fast as if there were no effects. IE is also as fast as opera, but as noted doesn't render the text-shadow. (though it is handling the box-shadows quite nicely).. or are you just so used to annoyingly slow effects as if we were still in the 386 age?

It is as if not more painfully slow than FF's handling of background-position:fixed; -- something that's relegated said property to uselessness (or people who don't care using it on myspace) as mozilla's dragged it's feet on fixing it like they do everything else. Part of my "issue" with that idiotic disaster HTML 5 and the useful but buggy/incomplete CSS3 is that maybe, just maybe the browser makers should get their HTML 2 and CSS 2 implementations down solid BEFORE adding more stuff? But of course, fixing thirteen year old bugs like 915 and painfully slow but "functional" stuff doesn't have the bling factor of "gee ain't it neat" new properties -- so unless someone puts out a bounty you'll never see bugs fixed in a open source project.

Bugzilla 915 says Mozilla just whooped it's own ass.

Rather have buggy than not at all huh? Wow, have we learned NOTHING from IE5's CSS2 implementation? When released 5.0, 5.5 and 6 were THE most standards compliant of any browser! They did so by implementing DRAFT specifications -- and now we look to be doing a lather, rinse, repeat on that with CSS3.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
    deathshadow, Jun 5, 2011 IP
  17. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Works fine for me! No, the performance meter doesn't budge when I hover over it. And at least I get text-shadow while, in IE, you can't.

You're trying to compare a non-functioning IE browser to others that CAN perform the operation. Quit doing that.
    Uh. I didn't say that. I said I'd rather be able to use it poorly (meaning it may be missing functionality) than not at all. And under the vendor extensions, they can do whatever they want, but implementing new properties is what that's there for, as I'm sure you know. But it runs just fine on our Windows laptop (the only Windows we have), an iPad, and a FreeBSD box.

I'm moving. I don't have time for this.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 5, 2011 IP
  18. jelaine

jelaine Peon

Best Answers:
    I am also not familiar with CSS3 but after reading this I really got curious. New lessons on the run. Thanks for the question.

jelaine, Jun 13, 2011 IP
  19. cute-sherry

cute-sherry Peon

Best Answers:
    CSS3 is the further development and upgrade of CSS.CSS3 WORKS in modern browsers and, generally, does NOT work in IE9,so css3 is advanced version of css.thanks bye

cute-sherry, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  20. unknownpray

unknownpray Active Member

Best Answers:
    Visit: www.css3.info to know more about CSS3. I use some of the CSS3 codes in my

websites. They make your codes less complex as well as are easy to use.

unknownpray, Jul 15, 2011 IP