1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CSS positioning versus tables

Discussion in 'CSS' started by Pink Chair, Mar 31, 2005.

I still use tables to setup page layout it seems like CSS is much harder. Are there any big advantages that would make me switch to CSS?

Pink Chair, Mar 31, 2005 IP
  2. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    CSS is coming along. For now, I think the best way is a combined layout. Check out the zen garden for some really neat css examples: http://www.csszengarden.com/

The problem in my mind is that it takes a lot of work to build a 2 or 3 column layout with CSS. There are tutorials out there, but I always seem to find a problem or two.

Just because you are using tables, doesn't mean you should ignore css all together though.

nevetS, Mar 31, 2005 IP
  3. anton-io!

anton-io! Active Member

Best Answers:
    anton-io!, Mar 31, 2005 IP
  4. Pink Chair

Pink Chair Peon

Best Answers:
    I do use CSS but not for positioning. Thank you for the other information.

Thank you. I see you asked the same question before me.

Pink Chair, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  5. grantmoney

grantmoney Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    although the learning curve is steep (when coming from table based design), i would suggest taking a small existing site you have and rebuild it with css. it's by far the best way to learn how it all works. once you're ok with css, you'll most likely never go back to tables for anything but tabular data.

grantmoney, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  6. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I made my first website with tables... then waited a year and accidently diceided that CSS was it. I'm never going back. It's not that I'm fanatical about it, I just don't feel like using spreadsheet-style structure (using a software analogy here) when I can go with an Illustrator-way of making structure.

Okay maybe the analogy is a bit lame, but the excell bit is accurate enough and all-though I love working in excell as an accountant, I don't want it for planning structure in a creative design universe.

Just my 2 cents on the everlasting subject (war).

miko67, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  7. Corey Bryant

Corey Bryant Texan at Heart

Best Answers:
    CSS is a lot cleaner in the long run. I do not use absolute positioning or anything but I do use the DIV instead of tables on the new sites I am working on. Plus if you need to make one change - you just make it on your style sheet page & that's it

Corey Bryant, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  8. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It got me in the beginning because it felt so good knowing that i was in total control and I could put anything anywhere on the page - nomatter what was already there.

Today I'm looking towards the liquid designs though.

miko67, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  9. jan.onesork

jan.onesork Active Member

Best Answers:
    CSS is really cleaner than tables, easier than tables and... better than tables ;)

I haven't ever understood making layout in tables -> there are to many tags like tr, td,... and... I'm so confused :confused:

jan.onesork, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  10. Webnauts

Webnauts Peon

Best Answers:
    Webnauts, Apr 8, 2005 IP