1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CSS looks different in Google Chrome than in Firefox and IE9

Discussion in 'CSS' started by Gadstrup Motion, May 8, 2014.

I'm working on the header for this website: http://f8540b43a389e3a7e34ee684fa9a07817c853fa4.web7.temporaryurl.org/

The problem is that the flashplayer and the orange bar shows about 30 pixel higher on the screen in Google Chrome than in FireFox and IE9. Here is the code I've used:

<div style="clear: both; position: absolute; left: 50%; margin-left: -297px; top:20px; z-index:0;"><EMBED height="110" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" align="left" pluginspage="macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" width="594" src="http://f8540b43a389e3a7e34ee684fa9a07817c853fa4.web7.temporaryurl.org/flash/2010top.swf" quality="high" loop="true" playtrue></EMBED></div><div style="clear: both; position: absolute; left: 50%; margin-left: -480px; top:130px; width:960px; height:5px; z-index:10; background:#f69802; border-bottom: 3px solid #c38120;"></div>

I appreciate every kind of help and tips.

Thank you all in advance :)

Kristen

Gadstrup Motion, May 8, 2014 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well for starters you might want to STOP inlining style in the markup, STOP using flashtard BS in your site template like it's 2001, STOP using proprietary tags like EMBED no matter how many HTML 5-tards now magically say it's ok after 15 years of being told it isn't...

Though really that whole page is an inaccessible disaster of how not to build a website -- broken attempt at responive layout, absurdly undersized inaccessible fixed metric (px) fonts, fixed positioning of elements that should be left in flow, gibberish mis-use of numbered headings, that stupid malfing "let's wrap the HTML tag in a half dozen IE CC's" bullshit that Eric Meyer pissed all over the Internet with, static style in the markup, "I can haz intarnets" markup that goes hand in hand with being a turdpress template...

There's nothing there I'd even try to salvage -- it's a laundry list of how not to build a website, as evidenced by the 35k of markup to deliver 2.12k of plaintext and half dozen content images; easily three to four times as much code as should have been used on such a simple design.

Placing some flashtard presentational nonsense on the page is the LEAST of your worries. Sorry if that seems harsh, but it's the truth. You've been led down the garden path to have smoke blown up your backside from that campfire the "sleaze it out any old way" turdpress jackasses sing "kumbaya" around.

deathshadow, May 25, 2014 IP
    COBOLdinosaur likes this.
  3. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    The only thing I would add to what deathshadow said is to ask why you would expect browsers from different manufactures to render junk identically. Even with perfect code they do not always look the same because they don't all use the same codebase. Do Mazdas look like Jeeps? Does Pepsi taste like Mountain Dew?

If you insist in identical rendering across browsers you will have a lot of frustrating and wasted days ahead of you. When you see a difference; the only thing you need to be concerned about is whether the page gives the user quality presentation in the browser they are using, because they will not be checking to see if it is the same cross-browser.

COBOLdinosaur, May 25, 2014 IP
    deathshadow likes this.