1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CSS code

Discussion in 'CSS' started by the_green, Mar 1, 2008.

1. the_green

the_green Peon

Best Answers:
    I see, so anyway I just found out it's just different on IE where the font is smaller so the div is smaller too, maybe I opened IE when I was at cafe with that smaller screen so it looked different there too. So I can use background-position:70px 35% to set it to the bottom of the div, so I just need to make my page look the same on two browsers. And hey Shallowink i think on your first link it says something about tricking IE on doing something with the width, I guess it would be like tricking it to look the same with other browsers but I don't get it much. So can someone help me with the CSS to make it look the same with 2 browsers, thanks!

the_green, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  2. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    IE6 gets it right, IF it's in Standards Mode (or what Microsoft calls standards mode). So long as you have a proper doctype, you don't have to do the w/idth tricks.

If there's anything before the doctype, even a space or a newline (white space), or an xml "prologue" <?xml.... blah blah...?> on top, then yeah, IE6 would need those hacks. But it's easier to just take it out of Quirks mode.

So, because a slight difference in font size made a visual difference in IE6, you might want to re-position the image a bit so that, while there may be just a hair too MUCH space on the bottom, it looks good with a bit of text-size variation.

Stomme poes, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  3. shallowink

shallowink Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Man I was just looking at the pretty pictures. Mainly to illustrate the point about padding. Wow somebody actually read that stuff. Stomme's right of course. IE6 is easier to work with in standards mode(if it could be called that, maybe substandards mode?).

shallowink, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  4. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Substandards mode? I like that : )

Stomme poes, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  5. the_green

the_green Peon

Best Answers:
    This is so weird, I posted a answer a few days ago and i saw my post showed up here now it disappeared.
    Anyway I was saying I thought the background was different because it was on IE with the font smaller in that div so the div was smaller too. So I just need to set my page to look the same on IE and firefox as well as other browsers, can anyone help me with this?

the_green, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  6. the_green

the_green Peon

Best Answers:
    oh sorry i didn't know the post was moved to another page.
    But anyway I don't get what you guys talking about, I don't know nothing about web developing I just got a yahoo mash page and it required CSS to develop your page and there's some sites showing you step by step to customize your mash with CSS, so can you tell me what exactly I should do?

the_green, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  7. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Eh, well, this is the situation as I see it:
    We're doctors, and you've got this Frankenstein monster kit you're trying to set up, and trying to do this particular customisation, and we are here but we can't see the parts or touch the scalpels or anything... and you are doing some brain surgery while we try to guess different ways of doing it, while you are our hands AND eyes...

meaning that this isn't impossible, but is a wee bit difficult.

Stomme poes, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  8. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Precisely.

Dan Schulz, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  9. the_green

the_green Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol I don't know how to solve this, but I lost my interest in yahoo mash now cause it comes out a sucky stuff, as it seemed from the first place, so I guess I'll leave it here, thanks you guys so much for trying to help me, there's much I should learn. By the way, I think my page look ok on firefox so if anyone got on firefox can see my page right, that's ok by me. Thanks you guys, bye!

the_green, Mar 10, 2008 IP