1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cross Domain Tracking fundamental capabilities

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by Adrian Robertson, May 17, 2015.

Hello, I am trying to set up Cross Domain Tracking between a non-secure site (website.com and an eCommerce site (website.tickets.com) and initially have a fundamental question about the capabilities of GA and CDT.

Basically all of the example setups I have seen presume that when you go to the destination domain, that this is more or less the "final step" in the sale process, whereby someone goes to the source site first (website.com) and selects whatever tickets they wish to purchase, and just the final checkout page is on the destination site (website.tickets.com). You might then get returned to the source site, as a "thank you" page, or similar.

[​IMG]
    However, the flow that we have presented to us is that the source site (website.com) has a call to action on it that sends the visitor to the destination site (website.tickets.com/tickets) where you then select what tickets you want, then proceed to another page on the destination site to register details (website.tickets.com/register), and then proceed to the next page / step whereby you complete the transaction using our shopcart (website.tickets.com/checkout). Assuming a successful transaction, the receipt page is also on the destination site (website.tickets.com/checkout/receipt).

[​IMG]
    As well as tracking where the visitor lands between source and destination (website.com > website.tickets.com/tickets) we want to track the rest of the process (website.com > website.tickets.com/tickets > website.tickets.com/register > website.tickets.com/checkout > website.tickets.com/checkout/receipt).

Is this scenario even possible?

I can successfully see pageviews where someone has gone from source to destination (website.com > website.tickets.com/tickets) but from there, the pageviews seem to drop out of the loop. I have run various debug extensions and tag assistant extensions and can find no errors. I can see that the client ID is being appended to the URL when moving from source to destination, but then subsequent navigation steps on the destination no longer have the client ID appended.

All of the pages on the destination use the same GA tracking code. The destination uses a CRM template page and the GA code is added to the <head> here. Both source and destination use the same GA property value (UA-123456-1).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Adrian Robertson, May 17, 2015 IP