1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cropping Pictures Diagonally in Photoshop

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by dcristo, Mar 22, 2009.

When using the cropping tool in PS to crop an image diagonally, is there a way to set the angle of the cut so it's uniform with other images I want to crop diagonally?

dcristo, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  2. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't uderstand what you mean by 'cropping diagonally' perhaps you might include an illustration showing what you mean?

In Photoshop you can easily constrain the crop tool to a certain aspect ratio in the toolbar when the crop tool is selected......is this what you're talking about?

innovati, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  3. Sanma

Sanma Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think he means using the exact same angle for more than one pic, cropping this way / (Diagonally)
    -
    Not that i'm aware of, at least not in PS 7, which is the one i mostly use.
    But you can use the ruler guides for that.

Go to View > New guide.
    And with that you'll create a new guide. You can block them so it doesn't bother with View > Lock Guides.

You can also do it with the ruler if you have it activated.

Hope that helps =)

Sanma, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    innovati, When I refer to cropping diagonally I mean the left and right border is a diagonal angle (not necessarily diagonally cutting the image in half either).

Sanma, I also use PS 7. Is there a way perhaps to create a new layer with diagonal borders, so then I can just paste the image onto the new layer and it does it automatically?

I'm a total noob when it comes to PS, as you can tell.

dcristo, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  5. Sanma

Sanma Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes there is.

First create an image of the desired size, the go to:
    Image > Rotate Canvas > Arbitrary
    Then choose an angle, Clockwise or Counter Clockwise.

That will rotate the whole image (You should have only 1 layer though, be sure to unlock it double clicking and renaming the layer). So you should then just copy/paste that layer into the other project, and then press Ctrl + Click on that layer (the bottom right menu, layers) to select it, so then you can cut whichever layer you want.

I hope you can understand that hehe, if you don't let me know and i'll try to write it more clearly.

Btw, if you want it to look like it's actually diagonal after saving it, save it either as PNG or GIF with transparency, so it wont have a white background.

Sanma, Mar 22, 2009 IP