1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Creating my own CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by dneff, May 13, 2013.

Hello Digital Point,

This is going to be a massive undertaking that I would like to get the support of the Digital Point members (and possibly get some people together as a team).

In short, I am wanting to build a free and open sourced Content Management System that is kind of like a combination of Joomla and WordPress written in PHP and MySQL.

If you would like to join my development team, please PM me.

Regards,
    David.

dneff, May 13, 2013 IP
  2. digicreatives

digicreatives Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are so many great CMS' already. What would make yours better? I'm interested

digicreatives, Jun 3, 2013 IP
  3. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I will suggest against it. I have done this in the past, too many crashes and programing updates... too few users using it. Hard to keep it running and promoting at the same time. Moreover it does not make money being open source and free.

To top it all, it got hacked. So I moved over to wordpress.
    cheers!

uttoransen, Jun 5, 2013 IP
  4. ironmind

ironmind Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Write a content management system similar to something does not make sense - offers sufficient. If you want to succeed - you need a niche solution, so you need to tell more about your idea...

ironmind, Jun 11, 2013 IP
  5. Maleabil

Maleabil Member

Best Answers:
    It's a good idea to have your own platform because it will run smoother than the well known platforms. That is because it will not load the server with generic functions that you don't need.
    But the problems remain time, money and knowledge. You have to be good at php to build your own platform.
    There are a lot of free sequences of good php code on the internet and you can put them together, but you still need to know php.
    I am also tired of waiting a wordpress site to load and i have seen a lot of these sites hacked. I am already using my own platform (built with a lot of free codes) and i assure you that it runs faster than wordpress and is more secure. But...i don't have one click plugins and i waste hours when i add new features.
    So it's depends on what you want do do with your platform. Ask me more if you are determinate and good luck!

Maleabil, Jun 12, 2013 IP
  6. bouser

bouser Active Member

Best Answers:
    As mentioned by Maleabil, if time and money is not an issue and you have the knowledge in PHP or ASP.NET then I see no issue with building your own CMS, in fact building the system from scratch with only the features you require will definitely help load times and performance of the website if done properly. Unfortunately Wordpress as good as it is, will always be a target for exploiters due to the popularity and wide spread use, they are less likely to target custom built sites unless of course they are coded poorly.
    It's just time and money that's the issue!

bouser, Jun 30, 2013 IP
  7. aidanriley629

aidanriley629 Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't understand most of the posts above mine. Wordpress creates ridiculous code and I don't even know how robots can crawl WP sites. Writing your own code, if you're proficient as a programmer, would be a great idea. (I've done it for classes and various tasks, to have certain functionality that I want and such)

aidanriley629, Jun 30, 2013 IP