1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

creating footer

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by leonardlee, Jan 21, 2005.

anyone have a link to a resource to show me how to create a footer?

leonardlee, Jan 21, 2005 IP
  2. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    A simple way is to put your footer in what is called an include file. This can have pretty much any extension. Activate php on your server if you need to, and use this command where you want the footer to appear:

<? require("nameoffooter.php"); ?>

Alternatively, you could use SSI, which is more complicated and less functional...

Basically, the server will print whatever text is in the file before it is transmitted to the user.

david_sakh, Jan 21, 2005 IP
  3. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    My footer is just an html document with my links and copyright info. I use a client side include to include since my host said all our server side includes were hogging the resources and shut us down.

Shannon

Smyrl, Jan 21, 2005 IP
    david_sakh likes this.
  4. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    THEY CAN DO THAT?

EDIT: Just noticed your links. :eek:

I didn't think moving a few kilobytes around every few seconds was such a strain....I didn't know that web hosts could do that, especially with sites that do so much with php and ssi out there doing so with impunity.

5. Smyrl

Best Answers:
    The site that got closed down was not on a free host but it is not an expensive one either. It has a lot going for it in comparision to a more expensive host I was using.

As you noted I have sites running on my ISP but we have a reseller package with another host.

Shannon

Smyrl, Jan 21, 2005 IP
  6. leonardlee

leonardlee Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm a rookie what does a server side include look like?
    <!--#include virtual="footer.html"-->
    ???

leonardlee, Jan 21, 2005 IP
  7. Smyrl

Best Answers:
    I am using FrontPage to handle the include. If you have FrontPage, after making header, footer, or menu you want to include, go to insert, Web Component, Include Content, Page, and browse directory to find file you want included. The following code is inserted into the page on which you are editing at the point of insertion: <!--webbot bot="Include" U-Include="footer.htm" TAG="BODY" -->

In my mind either SSI (Server Side Includes) or CSI (client side includes) is the only way to go when designing a site. Experience is a good teacher. After having to change the header on an 150 page site twice due to change in phone number and change in area code, I was ready to look into includes. Dreamweaver has a similar feature available to the one used in FrontPage. If you are a coder you can write a little program to do the include for you.

Shannon

Smyrl, Jan 21, 2005 IP
  8. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm, I once heard a guy at the dealership telling a customer that their blinker fluid is leaking... This kinda sounds the same.

Webbots are MS' server-side components that actually chew up more CPU power than regular SSI directives. It is much simpler and more efficient to use plain SSI:

<!-- #include virtual="filename.inc" -->
    <!-- #include file="filename.inc" -->

If you use these, you can use Notepad to edit your pages. Webbots require FrontPage, which is notorious for reformatting and mangling HTML to the point where it becomes uneditable by hand.

J.D.

J.D., Jan 21, 2005 IP
  9. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    I've always strayed away from FP. It's frustrating in the beginning, but I'm sure it pays off by the time you get used to doing everything by hand.

10. seoxperts

seoxperts Peon

Best Answers:
    FP extensions/MS eats up a lot of resources, I am sure its not the same with SSI or PHP includes...!!

seoxperts, Jan 21, 2005 IP
  11. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know if that's a valid comparison. If I understand it right, FP makes the code inefficient, wasteful, larger, and hard to understand. PHP and SSI just require extra processing time on the server. They use up different resources for different reasons.

david_sakh, Jan 22, 2005 IP
  12. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    As a side note - notepad bites for html, i recommed edit plus. it's not a WYSIWYG, rather just a text editor but with some neat features like color coding tags, etc.

wendydettmer, Jan 22, 2005 IP
  13. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    have you tried HAPedit? Do a G search. It kicks so much ass for a freeware product, to put it bluntly. That's what I use these days.

david_sakh, Jan 22, 2005 IP
  14. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks, i'll check it out. edit plus is free too btw :)

i'm always looking for better tools for me to do the limited stuff i know how to do :)

wendydettmer, Jan 22, 2005 IP