1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Creating a Yahoo Answers type of website.

Discussion in 'Programming' started by NsaneNoob, Oct 28, 2010.

Not a copy.

What is needed to create such website? Knowledge of what programming languages is needed?

Also I want to mention that it is not as complicated and big as Yahoo answers.

NsaneNoob, Oct 28, 2010 IP
  2. techbridge_india

techbridge_india Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    basically,PHP language is anought o create this website..Only needs to have strong searching options and quick working database..You can have a memers area or allow people to post directly..design can be made in PS and then converted using html and css

techbridge_india, Oct 28, 2010 IP
  3. shavic

shavic Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, there are many languages available and the most commonly used one is PHP. ASP.NET is the also another choice.

shavic, Oct 28, 2010 IP
  4. Oranges

Oranges Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can create a website like that on wordpress too, with this theme.

Oranges, Oct 28, 2010 IP
  5. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Have created an engine for a similar site before. The main functions of allowing people to post questions and reply are not particularly challenging. As usual the real challenge is in the search element but a lot of that will depend on if you want natural language search capability or not etc.

AstarothSolutions, Oct 29, 2010 IP
  6. hirensoni913

hirensoni913 Peon

Best Answers:
    There is nothing like which language you can use to develop such a site. Whatever language you know well you can use it. Such a site required good command over database. In this case you can use SQL server.

hirensoni913, Oct 29, 2010 IP
  7. webbmaster

webbmaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    javascript can be used for front end, .. webpage can be updated without reloading the page. search AJAX and you will get some ino. Another well run Q/A website is http://stackexchange.com/ I found them very easy to use and the point system very well designed

webbmaster, Oct 29, 2010 IP
  8. Coranti

Coranti Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want your site to be scalable and flexible, I would recommend to use a PHP Framework, like CakePHP or CodeIgniter. Bundle it with Jquery and you will have a powerfull platform to build on from scratch. If you don't want to get into programming yourself, then install Wordpress or Joomla and try to find plugins...

For a well done example, check Stackoverlfow.com

Coranti, Oct 30, 2010 IP
  9. spy100

spy100 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are many free scripts to make a site like that i recommend you sorceforge chek it out

spy100, Oct 30, 2010 IP
  10. lukezli

lukezli Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There is a lot of free code online that can help you do this with minimal work. PHP (server-side) should be used, and javascript/html to help the design

lukezli, Oct 30, 2010 IP
  11. seotraining

seotraining Active Member

Best Answers:
    To create a website like yahoo answer you should have a knowledge of any server scripting language like php or asp.net

seotraining, Oct 30, 2010 IP
  12. helloguys12345678

helloguys12345678 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The funny thing is that most of you are not telling him the truth. If he is actually posting this question on the forum, he's obviously a beginner in programming. What you guys should be telling him is if he wants to create a Yahoo! Answers website that is equally or more complicated, he has no chance in the next year or so because his ability simply wouldn't allow him to do so, even if he learns at lightning speeds. What we should be telling the OP is that he should first start by learning a server side language such as PHP and also learn HTML/CSS to create layouts. How can a baby learn to fly an airplane if he hasn't learned to crawl.

helloguys12345678, Nov 7, 2010 IP
  13. hirensoni913

hirensoni913 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not agree with petercpwong, because when I was a beginner I started working on inventory program for one of the biggest company in our state. I did it successfully and still they are using that program without any error. What matters is his eagerness. If he really wants to develop site like Yahoo Answer then he can do it.

hirensoni913, Nov 7, 2010 IP
  14. adi12

adi12 Active Member

Best Answers:
    adi12, Nov 8, 2010 IP