1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Creating A Search Engine

Discussion in 'General Business' started by JackL00711, Feb 20, 2010.

Is this difficult to do?

Would it be expensive to set up?

JackL00711, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  2. Steve Powers

Steve Powers Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course it's very difficult to do it.Compared to this,I'd like to know that how can you come up with this idea?

Steve Powers, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  3. fancymouj

fancymouj Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah if you gonna make something unique ..needed lot of effort + knowledge about algorithm ..programming language ..etc ..
    It's not an easy to do like a creating a site or blog ..

But don't think that it's an impossible ..must have good knowledge in programming

fancymouj, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  4. SonjaC

SonjaC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Or hire someone ;)

SonjaC, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  5. bobzzz

bobzzz Active Member

Best Answers:
    You don`t have to make one from scratch.I remember a few years ago I did a lot of reading and research about search engines.You do get scripts that you can download to make a search engine.You could also search for open source search engine scripts.here are some : http://www.opensourcescripts.com/dir/C_,038_C,043,043/Search_Engines/ hope it will help you in your quest.Also being opensource you could customize it to your needs and saved you a lot of time and effort in building the whole thing yourself

bobzzz, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  6. manofwar

manofwar Active Member

Best Answers:
    The algorithm alone is going to be a nightmare, and competing with google/yahoo/bing/aol/baidu/____ (fill in blank) is juts a nightmare IMO

manofwar, Feb 20, 2010 IP
    fancymouj likes this.
  7. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks mate. Nice link.

That is why you would make a niche focused search engine of some kind. ;) You do it on a smaller scale. That is where you are going to make your money now a days. Most do not have the resources and financing or technical background to compete on the level of a Bing, Google, and so on. People need to simply stop thinking about being the next anyone.

If you are truly looking to make money online, you need to think smaller. Regional, niche, local. That is where you can make a killing, and still have a lot of freedom to do what you like. Get 300 local business paying you $20.00-100.00 a month for ad placements and such = $6000-$30,000.00 a month.

Cha-ching!

Now you have a nice lifestyle. Even after expenses. Catch the drift? :cool:

Barefootsies, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  8. oxidati0n

oxidati0n Peon

Best Answers:
    If I'm honest, local-based search engines are great, however you're going to struggle on getting the best content. Everyone who tries to make searches based on Google's API aren't really going to get anywhere; it's just like trying to compete with Twitter by making a Twitter account. In my strong experience of being a semi-professional at algorithmic computing, I can easily say that building a search engine is extremely simple, however toning and giving it ability is a whole new matter.

On the other hand, it's easy to say Google can be beaten, however Google started in a early legacy and hence of which, much option wasn't there as their were like 4 search engines? AOL, Google, MSN, and Yahoo? Now, they've acquired a LOT of companies, but whose to say those companies can't redevelop those technologies?

It requires intelligence, a lot of people, and simplicity. If you're thinking out of the box, you don't need to focus on blazing fast speed, just think about the intelligence of your automated computing search engine. Let people do anything and everything with search, let them discover things as fast as possible, while giving the ability to let people communicate in and out with a search engine.

These basic things are what gives a search engine a competitive edge, is the toughness in different situations. For example, let me ask you this, and if you manage to accomplish it seamlessly, you're already on a good start:
    - Can you find any site based on domain figures, such as "facebook" for facebook.com?
    - How can you tell the importance, priority and valuability of web pages without being biased?
    - How can you equally giving chance for other people to compete without financial insert?
    - How fast can you have pages on the index without affecting performance?
    - How can YOU let people contribute in addition to having search engine friendly web sites?
    - Can you let me find a site that doesn't give me viruses, or better still, find a backup instantaneously incase it's down?
    - Can your search engine not have sites with lag or downtime?
    - Can you equally give user traffic to webmasters without affecting results?

Google hosts billions of pages, and their infrastructure probably has hit the first 1,000 PB or something. They're incredibly popular, and typically a household name, but the difference is, you're not looking for popularity, you're looking to do the job right. That's what too many people get wrong when developing such iconic technologies, and when you get it wrong, you ain't going to last the millions of other challenges that will come up. And, also, the biggest reason for Google's success is openness, creativity, and sticking to the job: good search.

If you let the drift flow and don't do major marketing, you won't have many problems. If you're growing fast, you will be able to solve problems as they occur, not when a million and one people access your site, and because of the familiarity people will have by single-handedly discovering it will become more of an impact than an advertisement or partnering with companies for pointless reasons (other than brand, which isn't your number one priority).

Then again, you're always open to make a search engine using Google's paid API and let people search on your site exactly what they're going to find on Google. But, then again, you're trying to make business? Look where innovation has got Twitter, Flickr, Google, and Facebook. A large amount of entrepreneurs fail at business because their number one priority isn't customers, and instead, it's all about money. Money comes second, if not, third or fourth. It never comes first.

It doesn't take a lifetime to figure these out, it just takes intelligence, and everyone has it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
    oxidati0n, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  9. webbmaster

webbmaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if you really want to make a search engine , I suggest you make a niche search engine, or vertical search engine.. like search for celebrity.... that is a good niche.. everyone wants to know something about celebrity

webbmaster, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  10. wompie

wompie Peon

Best Answers:
    You'd need a really powerful server to crawl millions of sites, which would be expensive

wompie, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  11. ManMadeMarketing

ManMadeMarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    ....One of the cheapest/best ways to build your own search:

Search: Yahoo BOSS

ManMadeMarketing, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  12. Oberon

Oberon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm with Barefootsies on this one -- the "Big ideas" have all been cornered. Amazon, Google, eBay, Craigslist: they all conquered their respective niches first and we simply cannot compete with them.

People are trying, but they are just blowing money on a pipe dream.

Small and local is definitely the way forward. There is still scope for excellence and originality, but it's getting harder and harder.

Oberon, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  13. JohnApuna

JohnApuna Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    definitely hire someone that knows what they're doing. If you want to do this, make sure you do it right

JohnApuna, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  14. tech_savvy

tech_savvy Peon

Best Answers:
    not a one man job!

tech_savvy, Feb 22, 2010 IP
  15. expertofexperts

expertofexperts Active Member

Best Answers:
    Making a search engine is difficult but even if you outsource this work then also you need to pay high charges and one thing you need to make sure is that you will be competing with search engine giants Google and Yahoo.

Its you wish however!!

expertofexperts, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  16. wompie

wompie Peon

Best Answers:
    wompie, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  17. Gabung

Gabung Active Member

Best Answers:
    imo. yes it would be so difficult, and yes it would be so expensive...

Gabung, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  18. zorro7444

zorro7444 Peon

Best Answers:
    I totally disagree with both of you. A guy in my entrepreneur class told the teacher he doesn't think anything big or new will come out on the internet because everything has already been done. I would have failed that guy if I were the teacher. New stuff comes out every day. If you think you can't compete with big companies then you will always be small time. Of course you have to start small. IMO the best companies start in someones basement, parent's house, or dormroom with no money at all. Its these Companies that can compete with no funding and few resources that really can compete with the big dogs. Those are the guys that scare the big companies and get bought out for billions.

I did a little research on search engines and from what I can tell it is very easy to do it, the first thing you need is a server and a crawler script. I think those crawler scripts are even easy to code. Second you need a user interface, like a search box with function: return results from server. The challenge is to get people to use your search. If you want to do it I also suggest letting users contribute to it. It can and will be done. I don't think Google or Bing will be the search engine in 20 years, they might not even use a "search engine" in 20 years because something new and better will be used.

zorro7444, Jan 27, 2011 IP
  19. zorro7444

zorro7444 Peon

Best Answers:
    ^ what's wrong with my font?

zorro7444, Jan 27, 2011 IP