1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

creating a forum

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by brenna84, Mar 23, 2016.

I need to start a forum. A social networking site that I'm a part of is closing down. But a lot of that need it are going to be lost so I decided that we would all move to a different forum.

Problem is I don't know how lol.

I am trying to find a place or a way to host a forum. BUT, i expect it to be a growing forum so I don't want to pay a lot of money to move the forum if it gets too big.

Any ideas?

brenna84, Mar 23, 2016 IP
  2. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For several years im running forums on instantcpanelhosting.com, the mini hosting plan would do for the beginning, it cost $1.5 quarterly
    If you wish i can help you setup the forum free of charge if you buy from instantcpanelhosting. Moreover i will advice you on how to become independent and be able to move your website to other webhosting at anytime. PM me if needed.

btw, there are several forum systems, free is for example mybb, phpbb . paid is vbulletin and xenforo. just google them or google them + add word themes/templates to see how your forum can look like. PS: im not following this topic. PM me or contact mentioned hosting provider.

postcd, Mar 24, 2016 IP
  3. doublespaces

doublespaces Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't know how to host a forum, chances are you may not be in a great position right now to provide this service. There is never a better time to learn than now as they say, so what do you know how to do as far as web hosting in general is concerned? Putting up a forum is pretty easy, the hard part is picking your platform, branding and marketing plan. There are probably plenty of people here including myself who could help you with this, but I think we'd need more details.

doublespaces, Mar 28, 2016 IP
  4. roriff

roriff Peon

Best Answers:
    I would recommend you to start with small account. Then after some time you will see if that is right time to upgrade account or you need to stay with chose account. Just upgrade as you go and not order huge package at the beginning.

roriff, Mar 29, 2016 IP
  5. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    phpBB is free and you can easily migrate the forum to vBulletin at a later time.

dcristo, Mar 29, 2016 IP
  6. WpPeter007

WpPeter007 Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all try to find a good Managed WordPress Cloud Hosting.
    I'm talking about Cloud server because they're up trending nowadays, because of their performance, security and reliability.
    There are many Cloud hosting providers like Cloudways, Bluehost, Dreamhost etc.
    Using WordPress you can easily create Social Network site by using "BuddyPress" plugin.
    I'm recommending WordPress because it is very easy to use, no technical knowledge required. Just drag and drop. And you're Done !
    Good Luck !

WpPeter007, Mar 31, 2016 IP
  7. heat23

heat23 Member

Best Answers:
    I was just in the same boat looking for add a forum to my existing website, but the biggest thing is that it had to integrate will with my existing user database. After lots of trial and error, I chose Vanilla Forums with the jsConnect plugin (to sign my existing users in). It works like a charm! The forum software is very lightweight and serves my purpose. I was hoping that the number of existing Themes would be better and also newer/better plugins, but thats OK for me. I just needed something basic.

There are some new forums that I am keeping an eye on, one of them is Flarum that is in Beta. Looks promising, but probably too early to start using it now on a production website.

heat23, Apr 2, 2016 IP
  8. slackhead

slackhead Member

Best Answers:
    mybb is pretty good forum software. As you're just starting the forum out you can do a normal shared account. Then when you upgrade to a VPS you just use cPanel and the migration is pretty simple.

slackhead, Apr 5, 2016 IP
  9. Anna Wlliams

Anna Wlliams Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, when I needed to creat a website I used a website builder http://www.templatemonster.com/moto-cms-3-templates.php. I`ve picked a design there. Looks really professionally. If you want to create a forum you can also use it. If you have all the info from your previous site it will be even faster and more convinient.

You won`t believe. but firstly, I wanted to creat a website by myself, because I wanted to save some money on it. But after a month of my work, I didn`t like the result. That`s why I`ve found webside builder. I liked that everything was easy and fast.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    Anna Wlliams, Apr 7, 2016 IP
  10. LorryK

LorryK Peon

Best Answers:
    I`ve heard about it. I will look, coz I wanna make an autoforum and already have some ideas.

LorryK, Apr 7, 2016 IP