1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Creating a content widget for syndication

Discussion in 'JavaScript' started by Ian, Oct 15, 2011.

I'm looking to start offering content widgets on our site, that people can use on their websites to display news, stats, etc. from our database. I don't want to use IFRAMES and noticed that most use javascript. What's the best source to learn about creating these? Basically the goal would be to have a widget for news stories from our content, as well as individual stats widgets that people could sort using a PHP MYSQL query within the widget. I've looked at different tutorials and haven't found a good one, so I'm just curious if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Ian, Oct 15, 2011 IP
  2. jcwebhole

jcwebhole Active Member

Best Answers:
    you could try using the keyword "RSS" in your searches..

anyway there are a lot of ways you can syndicate
    normally I use PHP/MySQL to generate an XML like syntax of the content then use javascript to parse it back for displaying.

still iFrames are your easiest choice... if you are worried about styling then use GET variables to manage how it looks like

jcwebhole, Oct 15, 2011 IP
  3. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had thought about IFRAMES but it seems like everyone usually uses javascript for syndication so I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it. I already have an rss feed, but I'm trying to set up actual blocks people can post on their pages to display team articles, and another block for stats, schedule, etc. I wanted to give people a few options for what they want to display, but haven't come up with a good way to set it up.

Ian, Oct 15, 2011 IP
  4. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    After doing some digging, I actually found a great tutorial - if anyone else ever needs something like this:

http://www.barelyfitz.com/projects/jssyndicate/

It worked great, so hopefully it'll help someone else looking for the same thing.

Ian, Oct 24, 2011 IP