1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Created my first and personal website any criticisms or advice?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by CashFragomedia, Feb 25, 2015.

I'm starting my own Article/Blog/ebook company as well as I'd like to do product photography and other works in the future.

I'm quite new to website building and had to use WIX to even be able to get the site working but I think I've done a great job but a second opinion never hurts!

cashfragomedia.wix.com/cassiuswrites
    (I don't own a domain yet but I've secured my first client and will be using the money earned to purchase a domain/hosting package soon!

Can anyone please give me some improvement recommendations or any tips and tricks i should know about?

CashFragomedia, Feb 25, 2015 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, it's the typical train wreck of "this is how you do NOT build a website" one can expect from Wix and inexperience; or WIX and experience for that matter.

Images for text, nothing remotely resembling semantics or accessibility so it's guaranteed to alienate potential users and fail MISERABLY at search... it reeks badly of focusing so much on "what it looks like" you haven't bothered making ACTUAL content, or having any of the baseline things you should have before even one line of code gets put down on building a site.

I'd suggest tossing it, and either learning to use HTML/CSS properly, or hiring someone who can do so. WIX is a giant scam that preys upon the ignorance of those starting out, or those who cannot get away from apathy, ignorance, or just plain wishful thinking. It has done nothing of value for you, and pretty much EVERY concept you have there is the antithesis of how site-building should be done if you care at ALL about being successful.

Sorry if that seems harsh, but the truth often is.

deathshadow, Feb 26, 2015 IP
  3. CashFragomedia

CashFragomedia Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Damn, really? I knew wix was bad and i planned to switch to another site as soon as i had earned enough to purchase a domain name, I won't be rebuilding until I can finally afford to get the domain name but I'd love for you to throw pointers my way. Would wordpress be an acceptable alternative?

CashFragomedia, Feb 26, 2015 IP
  4. PDD

PDD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Definitely use wordpress. It will streamline the whole process of setting up your business. You won't need to worry at all about web development, and not very much about design if you find a good theme for yourself.

PDD, Feb 26, 2015 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Turdpress is better, but only marginally. To make it produce something useful takes a lot of knowledge and a lot of bending it over the desk to give it a nasty case of BOHICA. MOST off the shelf solutions will suffer from that as instead of being designed to handle your content, they are about shoe-horning your content into their way of doing things -- their way of doing things often involving such a complete lack of HTML, CSS or accessibility knowledge the resulting mess is most always an "also ran" disaster.

Particularly if you use some crappy off the shelf template from scam artist whorehouses like themeForest or templateMonster, which ends up akin to trying to shove a 500 pound fat woman's size 14 hoof into a size 7 shoe. Even if you make it fit, it's not gonna walk very far.

deathshadow, Feb 26, 2015 IP
  6. PDD

PDD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree there are better solutions, but of course it depends how deep into the rabbit hole you're willing to go. Are you going to write your own MVC framework so that it does exactly what you want? Then build a CMS on top of it? Unless you're going to do that for every different type of project you start then you're going to be conforming to someone else's framework.

The reason I think wordpress is optimal for his situation is for the exact reason you stated in your post. Without a background in web dev/design he's going to just get over his head really fast and it will go from "I'm starting a business" to "I'm learning programming". And he likely won't reach an end.

PDD, Feb 26, 2015 IP
  7. weakpa2

weakpa2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Try to use blogger or wordpress don't build a website in Wix.:D:rolleyes:

weakpa2, Feb 26, 2015 IP
  8. CashFragomedia

CashFragomedia Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I really think this is more in tune of a response the other guy was definitely right but a bit to brutal, I have no clue what I'm doing and even building the website in WIX was challenging enough, as it stands the website is doing its job and everyone i've shown it to loves it, I'm not planning to monetize my site at the moment so it's form factor for SEO doesn't matter it's simply almost an online business card and and email directory for me basically.

I will be using wordpress in the future however once i've secured a few clients and feel the need to expand thank you sir!

CashFragomedia, Feb 26, 2015 IP