1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Craigslist phone verification for posting in ALL service categories now?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by amedia, May 8, 2008.

1. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    CL sucks when its full of spam..great idea

templates, May 11, 2008 IP
  2. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all, that cannot be Psycho T! Figures the SAE's would have a trampoline outside their balcony. (referring to blog above)

I haven't had the phone call thing yet in my area. But I feel sure it's headed our way.

webgal, May 11, 2008 IP
  3. shahab6

shahab6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    not compare to craigslist, but they come in second and third

shahab6, May 12, 2008 IP
  4. b1rd

b1rd Peon

Best Answers:
    New here, and I wanted to say hello and add this is a very nice forum.

I, too, have been greatly impacted by CL's new phone verification system, as a large part of my computer services business included custom image ads, which I advertised nation wide (once a day-not an overload, but perhaps a <slight> violation of their TOS.

I'm wondering if anybody has an idea of what gets an account "black listed?" I've heard some numbers being tossed around, but I'm hoping for some substantiated numbers before I run any more campaigns, as i don't want to burn the few accounts I've been able to scrape up.

Anyhow, again nice forum and I hope to participate and learn.

TIA,
    b1rd

b1rd, May 12, 2008 IP
  5. amedia

amedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Craigslist has not allowed many VOIP phone services like Skype, Vonage and others. BUT THEY MIGHT start allowing some of these VOIP services due to complaints from people who dont own any other kind of phone.

amedia, May 13, 2008 IP
  6. tdarnold

tdarnold Peon

Best Answers:
    There are plenty of telephone verified craigslists accounts to go around for those interested. PM me. Phone verification really stinks the place up but I have seen marketers work around every system put in place. Its just a matter of time before a bypass is in the public domain.

tdarnold, May 13, 2008 IP
  7. partners25

partners25 Peon

Best Answers:
    This what happens when people abuse the system.
    Never put all your eggs in one basket.

partners25, May 13, 2008 IP
  8. Lastbutnotleast

Lastbutnotleast Peon

Best Answers:
    Spammers are not marketers

:rolleyes:

Lastbutnotleast, May 13, 2008 IP
  9. LordKhufu

LordKhufu Peon

Best Answers:
    I run an ad with an active link in about 35 cities on CL. I only post 1 ad per city and delete and repost about every 3-4 days. I have the links split between 2 different websites. I also use a 3rd url which redirects to one of the 2 sites. I have this split between 7 different CL accounts. It is all coming from the same IP. I have DSL. I only use text links. No images.
    I feel that I am pushing the envelope and I am reluctant to increase the amount of ads for fear of getting banned.
    I am considering getting a dial up modem where my ip would change every time I logged on and getting another url that redirected to 1 of the 2 sites and set up a few more accounts using the new ip's.
    My question is I know CL can detect the hyper links and having to many links going to the same site is a huge red flag but, can they detect the redirect url's?
    any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.
    Thanks for reading.

LordKhufu, May 14, 2008 IP
  10. b1rd

b1rd Peon

Best Answers:
    Are we sure this is not just some type of rumor? I use to hear this about using the same IP address, and I never saw any evidence of banning. At this point, the only thing it appears to be doing is limiting us to 3 postings, on the same account within a certain time frame.

b1rd, May 14, 2008 IP
  11. tinner666

tinner666 Peon

Best Answers:
    Dang. Be nice if it's true. I might just start to use them now.:)

tinner666, May 14, 2008 IP
  12. chris_deals

chris_deals Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I have stayed away from CL for the past few months because of all the junk listings. So I'm glad there is phone verification, I may get back into th CL game.

chris_deals, May 14, 2008 IP
  13. tl1fan

tl1fan Peon

Best Answers:
    There's a website selling info about how to get around the new changes, I came across it actually on CL in the services small biz section.

tl1fan, May 14, 2008 IP
  14. brushfire55

brushfire55 Peon

Best Answers:
    What about using GrandCentral to get a free private phone number?

brushfire55, May 14, 2008 IP
  15. iceman007

iceman007 Member

Best Answers:
    It will be very interesting to see how things pan out with all this. As Webcosmo pointed out many people will decide it's not worth the effort if they have to do the phone verification. The appeal of craigslist is that its free and Easy to place an add. Once you add phone verification that takes away from the easy somewhat. This will certainly leave the door open for another player to grab some of their traffic.

iceman007, May 14, 2008 IP
  16. amedia

amedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would be careful using the same IP like that, especially now, they are changing a lot of their spam policies from what i have experienced.

Someone asked about using GrandCentral, it doesnt work. Craigslist is most likely using a database that cross checks numbers with sites like GrandCentral and similar sites

amedia, May 15, 2008 IP
  17. princesssusu

princesssusu Peon

Best Answers:
    Originally Posted by LordKhufu View Post
    I run an ad with an active link in about 35 cities on CL. I only post 1 ad per city and delete and repost about every 3-4 days. I have the links split between 2 different websites. I also use a 3rd url which redirects to one of the 2 sites. I have this split between 7 different CL accounts. It is all coming from the same IP. I have DSL. I only use text links.

Actually DSL gives you a new IP each time you log in. Only cable is static. While IP bans are real they are also usually the last thing that gets banned. Most likely your URLs will get banned first. Best bet is just to have a group of URLS that forward and cycle through them. I never recommend clients use their real URL. How quick the URL will get banned is really hard to guage I have seen it happen in a week and I have seen a single URL last 3 months. Also if you include the URL but dont make it live it does give your URL a much longer shelf life.

princesssusu, May 15, 2008 IP
  18. affprog1

affprog1 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are good with computers,you can bye pass the phone verification,i am so sure of that.

Do a little research

affprog1, May 15, 2008 IP
  19. bigmodo

bigmodo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    watch and see me pray for the downfall of cl

bigmodo, May 16, 2008 IP
  20. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    Phone verification is a good strategy fighting automatic spam submissions ;)

Trusted Writer, May 19, 2008 IP