1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cpanel Addon Domain issue/bug?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by webmasterjason, Oct 4, 2007.

So in the process of moving servers I have run into an issue with Cpanel and was wondering if someone has seen this issue before, I checked through the forums (and Googled it of course) and have not found anything yet.

Basically I created an addon domain, and when I created it I misspelled the name of the folder it would go into /public_html/missppelledfolder being slightly OCD when I noticed that I knew it would bug me for the rest of that site's life so I decided to fix it now instead of later down the road, so I deleted the folder, then the addon domain.

After that I went in entered all the info to recreate the addon domain, and I get the error.

"There was a problem creating the addondomain. Show Details"
    >
    "Error from domain wrapper: Domain already exists, it was not added.: username.maindomainname.com"

I have been through the site and can not find any trace of it under addons, sub domains, file folders etc, is it something in Cpanel I am missing or do I need to do something in WHM?

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated. :)

webmasterjason, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  2. ScottDaMan

ScottDaMan Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I've had that happen to me on many occasions. There's only one fix. You have to contact your host to manually remove the domain from the server so you can readd it in.

ScottDaMan, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  3. webmasterjason

webmasterjason Member

Best Answers:
    Ouch, good to know thought, if I have a virtual dedicated server is there a way I can do that?

4. ScottDaMan

ScottDaMan Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not experienced enough with this, but it has something to do with the domain tables. There's a file to edit to remove the reference of the domain. A google search should help.

5. chickens

chickens Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you manually delete the folder from the server or did you remove it through WHM? cpanel/WHM keeps a database of sorts of all of the domains and accounts, so you have to remove it via the interface. You should be able to remove the account through the root login in WHM without a problem.

chickens, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  6. webmasterjason

webmasterjason Member

Best Answers:
    I did it via Cpanel and am currently looking around in WHM to find were it is to delete it.

7. ScottDaMan

ScottDaMan Peon

Best Answers:
    You are not going to find it anywhere in cPanel or WHM if you've already removed the addon domain properly and get the error. THis is something you have to change at the server level and therefore, requires your hosts' assistance.

8. webmasterjason

webmasterjason Member

Best Answers:
    Fair enough, granted things like this I was hoping to have control over going with a Vir Dedicated but I suppose I still have to use the phone for some things.
    Thanks for the advice.

9. webmasterjason

webmasterjason Member

Best Answers:
    When I contacted the host they said I could remove the addon domain through the control panel or SSH anyone have any ideas on that?

10. taysahai

taysahai Peon

Best Answers:
    running into the same problem and got lucky on google with this thread. Above poster mentioned it must be edited by whm. Looking through whm the only thing to do this that I see would be mx editor.. which is'nt working.. oh well will continue my search/.

taysahai, Nov 20, 2009 IP