1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Couple of helpful snippets

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by clickbuild, Sep 19, 2005.

Snippet 1:
    added my first google site map and have seen 2 new bots (Gigabot and some Java thingy - helping to confirm the side effects of sitemaps...oh, make that 3, I just spotted another one go by as I am typing -- yes, watching your logs in realtime is a little geeky but really worth it -- hello Slurp! :) -- hang on, make that 4, some Polish bot...

Snippet 2:
    Firefox extension "Search Status" v1.9 - really useful. Allows you to add Pagerank and Alexa Rank to your browser (in a choice of places) - instantly visible for any site you are on. Bonus: color code "no-follow" links -- quite an eye opener! Example: I can see that the seach link in the DP toolbar and the contact us at the foot of this page are no follow links... nice for doing investigative research.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=321

HTH

Steve

clickbuild, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  2. arjunprabhu

arjunprabhu Peon

Best Answers:

You mean to say ... sitemap is being read by other bots too ?

arjunprabhu, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  3. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    No surprise there. It's a straightforward format that Google's made public, you can bet that other bots are looking for it to figure out which pages to spider.

Eric Giguere, Sep 20, 2005 IP
  4. clickbuild

clickbuild Member

Best Answers:
    arjunprabhuc - I noticed a few postings about "I posted a sitemap and Bot X stopped by" and I saw a similar thing happen and I thought it would be helpful to mention it so others can have the information to decide whether sitemaps is worth the effort... to me it has been as traffic seems to have picked up a bit too.

clickbuild, Sep 20, 2005 IP
  5. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    Actually when you run googles python script it says "notifying search engines" at the end. I only see it send data to google but perhaps google pings other sources?

Shoemoney, Sep 20, 2005 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'd really like to see Google's XML sitemaps become a "standard" for use by all search engines. There's nothing proprietry in there (like api codes) so no reason for the others not to pick it up. Finding them is another matter.

Why, though, is this posted under Adsense?

sarahk, Sep 20, 2005 IP
  7. arjunprabhu

arjunprabhu Peon

Best Answers:
    If that happens, it would be really great!

arjunprabhu, Sep 20, 2005 IP
  8. my44

my44 Peon

Best Answers:
    What is a Google Sitemap? heard about it, haven't take a closer look as yet.

my44, Sep 20, 2005 IP
  9. leo

leo Peon

Best Answers:
    ...yeah - couldn't you provide a link to that? never heard about that before.:eek:

leo, Sep 21, 2005 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's an xml file listing each of the pages on your site which allows google to get a clear picture of the site and of changes without having to check each page for new content and draining your bandwidth. You don't get priority treatment but you do ensure that Google reaches into the farthest corners of your site. [more]

sarahk, Sep 21, 2005 IP
  11. bluegill_catcher

bluegill_catcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    I did the sitemap thing, took a long time for it to create it...... sent it to googles sitemap submission.... nothing ! no bots visited, no SER changes etc.
    seemed to do nothing visible anyway for my site(s)

bluegill_catcher, Sep 21, 2005 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Go back to Google and check the status of the sitemap. You may have errors in it.

& maybe post the link to the map here for a review.

sarahk, Sep 21, 2005 IP
  13. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    So far sitemap has been an interesting exercise for me. I created a sitemap and omitted as many duplicative or useless type urls, like images, popup windows, etc. and still ended up with over 200K urls in the list, even though my site only has a couple thousand pages. Anyway, I uploaded the sitemap and have since verified that G is looking at it and it has no errors. My indexed page count has subsquently gone DOWN by nearly 100 pages. This is not good. Also, I haven't noticed an increase in traffic from G or any other bot, but then they show up often enough to keep on top of things anyway so that's not really a concern. What I really wanted was for all those pages I have to be indexed, or at least more of them. Now I've gone from well over 600 to well under 600 on a site with over 2000. :confused:

nfzgrld, Sep 21, 2005 IP
  14. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    thats weird... on a site with a 3k alexa rank it takes less then 3 mins to run and generate/prioritize 700K+ urls.

I run it nightly and have had a lot of success with it.

I highly recomend you give it another go. Make sure you go through the process of verifying and other stuff.

Shoemoney, Sep 21, 2005 IP
  15. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, now I'm impressed. I haven't submitted a new sitemap yet, but the results fromt that last one have changed. It had gone down to under 600 pages indexed, but I just checked and now it's up over 9,000! Sweet!

nfzgrld, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  16. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a traditional site map (IE html version) on my sites. Should I link the google xml one one the homepage or just leave it in the directory for just google?

marketjunction, Sep 24, 2005 IP
    Mia likes this.
  17. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Leave it just for google. it will confuse humans if they click on it.

sarahk, Sep 24, 2005 IP