1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Couple Ad Network Changes...

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by digitalpoint, Aug 20, 2005.

1. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm not trying to be Link Vault though. :)

digitalpoint, Aug 20, 2005 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I think LV is trying to be you... ;)

fryman, Aug 20, 2005 IP
  3. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    well i never heard that, but i'll look into it for you for certain. i really don't sit and post in threads all day so i'm not 100% in the know of the particulars. but i can say i remember way back that once a link is placed, it stays unless your site starts underperforming .... losing cached pages in G, drop in weight etc ....

skattabrain, Aug 20, 2005 IP
  4. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    fair enough, by the cheater comment i thought you were implying you couldn't put controls on it.

and trust me, i know from way back that you and your co-op have always been innovators.

skattabrain, Aug 20, 2005 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No... was just saying it's still not a link network. And while you could technically put checks in place for it, it would be a lot of coding/redesigning how it all works for something that I don't want to do (even if it took no coding time).

Hahaha... thanks. It will be interesting to see how long before one of the other networks copy my hashing/checksum mechanism for static ads. That was the fun part of this whole thing for me... figuring out how to make static ads that were different for each page without needing to actually keep/update a file to track what ad goes where. ;)

digitalpoint, Aug 20, 2005 IP
  6. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just realized I had 4 different versions of the ad network code running on my site. One version on my html pages, another version on one of the styles of my main forum, yet another version on the default version of that forum, and yet another older version on a phpbb forum running on the site. Jeez, what a mess. :)

SportsOutlaw, Aug 20, 2005 IP
  7. crew

crew Peon

Best Answers:
    Just a heads up for everybody using PHP and who, like me, may not understand good php coding practices... The new network code uses the $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] variable for static links. If you have your adnetwork echo code in its own file (adlinks.php for example) which you then include in your templates wherever necessary, you have to use the local path and not a full web absolute path:

include('http://www.mysite.com/adlinks.php') -> NO

include('home/myusername/public_html/adlinks.php') -> YES

Doing it the first way results in REQUEST_URI always being 'adlinks.php', which will then hash to the exact same thing every time - and will show the same 5 ads for every page on your site, I think. The second way keeps REQUEST_URI as the original calling page and works the way it should for the hash.

crew, Aug 20, 2005 IP
  8. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    dp coop rules, lv drools.

Shawn would you accept help to bang out some of the changes you want to do ? I need a new project or would like to be apart of something interesting like the coop.

Shoemoney, Aug 20, 2005 IP
  9. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great new feature Shawn! I hope it has nothing to with the "google patent #123123123123" thread about rotating links :)

I've converted all my ad_net*.php files and serving (semi)static links only from now on.

and for all the other things about the co-op I never got the time to thank you for: thanks! It's just wonderful ~ and getting even better

frankm, Aug 20, 2005 IP
  10. a389951l

a389951l Must Create More Content

Best Answers:
    Very cool changes Shawn. I'll be converting today to the new php code.

a389951l, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  11. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Good going Shawn, thanks for the great tool! :)

exam, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  12. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shawn this doesn't help advertisers as there is no way to select the 20 day ad setting.

20 days still isn't seo friendly, I don't know why you don't allow the option of permanent links, there is obviously the demand for this type of advertising and 20 days is far from permanent / static / seo friendly.

There will be minimal take up of the option to publish 20 day ads if you only promote it in this one thread in the forum - how many users will read the thread?

Dominic, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's not supposed to help advertisers, it's designed for publishers (see previous posts).

It has nothing to do with SEO. If I ever start a link exchange network, it would happen.

It's really not a big enough deal to promote it IMO, it's just a minor change. If nothing else, the 50-75 new sites going live with the ad network each day will have it as an option.

digitalpoint, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  14. amaze

amaze Active Member

Best Answers:
    So just to clarify...

Will the addition of static links only benefit us if other members turn "on" static links? Why not make this is a essential update so everyone moves over to this change?

PS: Thanks for the update. :)

amaze, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  15. joewood

joewood Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn -

Thanks very much for being flexible and giving the option for the static links. I am absolutely certain that this will do nothing but help everyone concerned.

THANKS!

joewood, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  16. Cygnus

Cygnus Cat Herder

Best Answers:
    This is a nice step -- most of the sites I deal with will probably stick with the 100% rotate, but I could see several of my future sites employing the more static feature...once this little update is ported to .NET, I'm sure one of my clients will jump all over it too.

I can't wait to see the theme issue implemented; that'd be a very nice cosmetic change -- I hear you on the complexity of changing it though...whenever it happens, I'm sure I'll be happy about it.

Per the Link-vault question earlier about eventual rotation...no. It is designed solely to be static, and only "rotates" if the page initially showing the ad either manually drops links from it by removing the PHP/ASP code, or is decached from Google and recached at a later date. It's a slightly different animal than DP; both have their uses for webmasters and should be used according to one's marketing plans.

Cygnus

Cygnus, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  17. rbfallon

rbfallon Peon

Best Answers:
    You are correct about LV there. The biggest benefit I have found with LV is the ability to point links to thousands of different pages / url's. I have 1,500 or so unique product pages within my website. I have 30-50 static links for each of my 1,500 different product pages, for a total of 60,000 or so static links pointing internally, and with different anchor text for each url. The flexibility is unbelievable. Used in conjunction with DP (If you have more than one website to use), the results are unbelievable.

rbfallon, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  18. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes .. it is, that is what I've been doing as well. Although, I must admit I'm beginning to get nervous about running my sites in systems like coop that rotate mass text links.

skattabrain, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  19. rbfallon

rbfallon Peon

Best Answers:
    Just keep the rotating links off of your "money" sites.....

rbfallon, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  20. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Rotating links have been around forever. imo Google has already started devaluing them...they're not going to penalize a site for rotating links.

GuyFromChicago, Aug 24, 2005 IP