1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Countdown - Similar to Amazon.com's?

Discussion in 'C#' started by MidoriWeb, Jan 7, 2007.

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if someone can help me out. For my ecommerce site I would like to add a countdown timer. On amazon.com they display the following:

Want it delivered Tuesday, January 9? Order it in the next 35 hours and 37 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. See details

I found this thread here:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=23934&highlight=countdown

But it doesn't do exactly what I need. The codes on that page will display a countdown... but I have more variables.

The biggest issue comes down to days of the week. For example... if I want people to order by 9 AM to get their orders the next day... I can't have my site show a user at 8 am on saturday that if he orders within 1 hour he'll get it on Sunday (UPS doesn't ship or delivery on Saturday or Sunday).

So... I would need to set some variable where if it's Saturday at 8 and a users views a page it would change to:

Want it delivered next Tuesday? Order it in the next 1 hours, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. See details

If they are on the site Sunday at 8 AM it will say the same thing. Same as on Monday. But on Tuesday it would say:

Want it delivered on Wednesday? Order it in the next 1 hours, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. See details

Make sense? Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction? I'm not an ASP programmer but if I'm given a starting point I can play around with the code for a while to hopefully get it working the way I want :)

MidoriWeb, Jan 7, 2007 IP
  2. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i'd take the code you have currently, and post it. Then ask if anyone can suggest a snippet to include to account for holidays and weekends.

I think some if statements using some of the ASP date and time functions would work well.

grobar, Jan 20, 2007 IP
  3. intothemiddle

intothemiddle Peon

Best Answers:
  4. MidoriWeb

MidoriWeb Member

Best Answers:
    MidoriWeb, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  5. MidoriWeb

MidoriWeb Member

Best Answers:
    Here's the code I currently have. This works by telling the user what day their order will arrive. But... what I can't figure out yet is how to get a countdown timer integrated. I want to replace my "next ** hours and ** minutes" with "next 4 hours and 15 minutes" and similar.

Any ideas would really be appreciated.

<%
    Dim h, DayOfTheWeekName 'create variable that will store the hour
    h=hour(now) 'pass in the date and time to the hour function as a parameter
    DayOfTheWeek = Weekday(Date)
    %>

<%
    If DayOfTheWeekName = "1" OR "6" OR "7" Then
    response.write "Want your order delivered by Tuesday?"
    response.write "Order in the next ** hours and ** minutes and choose next day air as your shipping method"
    Else
    	If DayOfTheWeekName = "2" Then
    	response.write "Want your order delivered by Wednesday?"
    	response.write "Order in the next ** hours and ** minutes and choose next day air as your shipping method"
    	Else
    		If DayOfTheWeekName = "3" Then
    		response.write "Want your order delivered by Thursday?"
    		Else
    			If DayOfTheWeekName = "4" Then
    			response.write "Want your order delivered by Friday?"
    			Else
    				If DayOfTheWeekName = "5" Then
    				response.write "Want your order delivered by Monday?"
    				End If
    			End If
    		End If
    	End If
    End If
    %>
    Code (markup):

6. MidoriWeb

MidoriWeb Member

Best Answers:
    As for the countdown timer... this is as far as I've gotten so far:

<%
    response.write(dateDiff("h",now(),date+1)) & " hours and " & dateDiff("m",now(),date+1) & " Minutes "
    %>
    Code (markup):
    That counts down the hours until tomorrow... but I can't get the minutes working. The problem is I don't want the minutes from now until tomorrow... I want the hours from now and then tomorrow... and then I want the minutes left over to be displayed.

I can write if/else statements to determine which date from now should be displayed (date+1, date+2) and so on.

I just need to figure out how to countdown the minutes remaining after hours are used. Once I can get that working, I think everything else will fall into place with a bunch of if/else statements.

So... can someone help me with the minutes thing? :)

7. MidoriWeb

MidoriWeb Member

Best Answers:
    I have the minutes working now... but it's displaying total minutes from now until tomorrow. For example... if it's 8 AM today, my code is showing 960 minutes. But... I need that code to show 0 minutes (since we're on the hour exactly there are no minutes to display).

I think the easiest solution is to do a countdown till the next hour. So if it's 8:30 AM, the script will do 60 minutes minus 30 minutes and the result is the minutes left. How can I do that? :)

<%
    response.write(dateDiff("h",now(),date+1)) & " hours and " & dateDiff("m",Time(),date+1) & " Minutes "
    %>
    Code (markup):

8. intothemiddle

intothemiddle Peon

Best Answers:
    I've not been awake long so...

<%
    myminutesvar = dateDiff("m",Time(),date+1)
    myhours = myminutesvar\60
    theminutesexact = formatnumber(((myminutesvar/60)-myhours),2)
    response.write(myhours) & " hours and " & theminutesexact & " Minutes "
    %>

Is that more what you mean?

intothemiddle, Feb 2, 2007 IP