1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Couldn't stop spam comments no matter what I do.

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by dess71, Jun 9, 2011.

please give me an idea or a plugin that totally stops this mess. What surprises me is that some posts are closed for comments and some are not. Though I disabled all.

dess71, Jun 9, 2011 IP
  2. Wulkanen

Wulkanen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you're using wordpress, follow these simple steps:

1) Install: Math Comment Spam Protection
    The plugin is free and makes the user answer a simple math question when commenting.
    Such as 3+5. This plugin will block 99.5% of ALL automatic spam.

2) Install: Akismet.
    This free plugin will make sure that even if someone makes it past the math plaugin, either
    with automatic spam or manual spam, they will end up in the spam folder.

By doing this i reduced my blog from getting 200+ spam comments per month to only
    1-2 spam comments.

I would not advice you to use a CAPTCHA since so many people hate them.

Wulkanen, Jun 9, 2011 IP
  3. fruzzlies

fruzzlies Member

Best Answers:
    Are you using Akismet? Have you unchecked "allow people to post comments on new articles"?

fruzzlies, Jun 9, 2011 IP
  4. dmm2020

dmm2020 Peon

Best Answers:
    Something I did was install a mod that allows only people who have made 10 or more posts can post links or have signatures.

I also set up a promotion system to that a new members go into a newbie group and they have very limited rights in posting. Once they have made certain number of posts they are promoted to registered member status.

Most spammers have less than 10 posts when they post spam unless you allow it to go on long term without banning the account used.

I would do this in addition to the other recommendations. Lookup spam in vbulletin mods at vbulletin.org and you should find what you need.

I also recommend not using captcha as spammers are building ocr systems that get by that. Make them answer simple human questions instead, such as what is the middle letter in the word red, but make your questions pop up at random and change them regularly.

dmm2020, Jun 9, 2011 IP
  5. ParentingCoachLisa

ParentingCoachLisa Peon

Best Answers:
    Use plugin like Akismet. This is the most recommended plugin on Wordpress to block spams.

ParentingCoachLisa, Jun 10, 2011 IP
  6. tastesgreat

tastesgreat Peon

Best Answers:
    Good idea. I'm going to try that math plug in.

tastesgreat, Jun 11, 2011 IP
  7. forexaff

forexaff Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    1. Take off the website field. That reduces comments by more than half.
    2. Math protection works good. use it in conjunction with akismet
    3. If you get too many spam comments from the same ip/email use an ip ban plugin to block them

forexaff, Jun 11, 2011 IP
  8. dess71

dess71 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I already have installed akismet but it asks signing up and other process. That is why I avoided it. But about the math plugin, I am getting reports/notifications in my email of even more comments being posted after installing that plugin. Maybe they found a way to bypass those math questions. The other thing amazing is that though I get notification of comments in my email the pending comments number is always 16. May be the comments are being posted without my approval.
    But It should have been possible to stop comment at all if you want so in the settings section. I have another WP site and below every post it says "comments are closed"
    Though I tried to duplicate what I did there then I couldn't. Now I think I have to try Akismet. I will report back after I did.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
    dess71, Jun 12, 2011 IP
  9. joshuthomas

joshuthomas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dear Dess,

Akismet blocks around 800 - 900 spam comments on my blog on a daily basis - I cant imagine what would happen if it wasnt there to help me out. Its the best option to arrest spam mainly because it has the largest database and it is from the developers of Wordpress. If your website is personal then akismet offers a free license but for pros it is made a paid version for a small amount but a great service.

all the best.
    regards, Josh

joshuthomas, Jun 12, 2011 IP
  10. Nusaint

Nusaint Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Like most users have suggested already, you should go with Akismet, it is very quick and easy to get and set up your key. There also many plugins that can be used to complement the functionality of akismet. One such is the Math Comment Spam Protection which has also been mentioned earlier, these are both free and will greatly assist you.
    If however your site is large multi user one where you are getting new users daily and then they abuse this privilege to post spam comments (mostly bot registrations),
    then I would recommend SABRE - a very powerful anti-bot registration plugin.

Nusaint, Jun 12, 2011 IP
  11. dess71

dess71 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys. I think Akismet saved me. I have only 1 notification of coment in my email after I installed that plugin. The reason I did not activate was because it asks for signing up and inputing API key in a form in the plugin. Man am I Lazzzy. Thx guys.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
    dess71, Jun 15, 2011 IP
  12. waone142

waone142 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I prefer use Aksimet plugin...it easy and free... try it, Just input the aksimet key

waone142, Feb 20, 2012 IP
  13. IDocXD

IDocXD Member

Best Answers:
    I just disable comments and install a Facebook integration plugin. Even thou not everyone has an FB, atleast i know 99% of of the people who post is more then likely a real person.

IDocXD, Feb 23, 2012 IP
  14. crazyblogger

crazyblogger Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am using two plugins to stop spam comments.

1. Akismet: comes with wordpress and works great.
    2. Growmap Anti Spambot Plugin: It is also great. It adds a check box just before the submit button so, only thing that genuine commenter have to do is a simple click. Check how it works on my blog http://www.crazyblogger.info

I suggest that you don't use captcha because I hate it, I guess you hate it too and almost all people on the web hate it as well.

Another thing you can do on wordpress is to disable comment on post older than certain days. You can find this setting on yoursite.com/wp-admin/options-discussion.php I have set it to 365 days but you might make it less it you are getting a lot of spam comments.

crazyblogger, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  15. Sort your finances out

Sort your finances out Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Akismet which successfully stops 99% of spam on my blog - it catches 300+ comments a day. I'm another one who hates Captcha, I tend not to comment on blogs that have that enabled.

Sort your finances out, Feb 29, 2012 IP
  16. gurdeep1117

gurdeep1117 Peon

Best Answers:
    To stop spammy comments please install captcha code for this after this no body sending u spamy comments because it does not fetch ....

gurdeep1117, Mar 1, 2012 IP
  17. sourabhkejriwal

sourabhkejriwal Member

Best Answers:
    I am using two plugins to stop spam comments.

1. Akismet: comes with wordpress and works great.

Math Comment Spam

sourabhkejriwal, Mar 7, 2012 IP