1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Exsiccate

Exsiccate Peon

Best Answers:
    As of February 21, 2020 there are 76,790 confirmed cases, 2,247 deaths and 18,590 recovered.

Exsiccate, Feb 21, 2020 IP
  2. statusredox

statusredox Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think it's because of fast death.

statusredox, Feb 21, 2020 IP
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My understanding is that the mortality rate is lower than the "normal" flu viruses. That means that fewer people per 100 infected die from coronavirus than from the flu.

Again, the mortality rate is lower than standard influenza. The morbidity rate is higher, so coronavirus is more easily transmitted to someone, but fewer die from it. At least, those are the latest I have heard from the statistical reports.

jrbiz, Feb 21, 2020 IP
  4. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This morning's news reports that the airlines stand to lose billions due to cutbacks in international travel. I'm thinking scare tactics to get you to take your flu shot. Heard that mentioned too.

JoeSpirit, Feb 21, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. Johnriver743

Johnriver743 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Coronavirus virus is such a big challenge especially for China. But they are fighting well against this disease because China is fall in top 5 economies in the world.

Johnriver743, Feb 21, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva and jrbiz like this.
  6. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Although some may claim that China's methodology may be Draconian, they really have stepped up to the plate. If it were not for their efforts the virus would have transmitted far more than it has.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 21, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. Johnriver743

Johnriver743 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    People can see, they are building big hospital in few days, they are hiring best doctors in the world and many more. Most of other countries never do that without donations and aids.

Johnriver743, Feb 21, 2020 IP
    jrbiz, JoeSpirit and Spoiltdiva like this.
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I remain totally baffled by this "crisis." I guess that the media has nothing else to report on. The coronavirus mortality rate remains at 2% while other, more common, strains of influenza have a much higher mortality rate. Yet, the stock markets have sold off a lot of value in a panic over this nonsense.

FYI, I be flying home cross-country (San Diego to Rhode Island) today and not wearing a medical mask. There was one clown on my flight to SD sitting right in front of me with a mask on and he looked foolish/gullible to me and everyone else on the plane. :)

jrbiz, Feb 26, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    They are even contemplating cancelling the Olympic games set to be in Tokyo. Some will look back at this time and feel embarrassed. Do you remember the panic when all the computers around the world were supposed to crash at midnight in the year 2000? As young and inexperienced as I was, I worked through it on my PC as I refused to buy into the panic.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 26, 2020 IP
    JoeSpirit and jrbiz like this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Remember it? I sold a whole bunch of software and services to businesses before (and after) 2000 to help them to replace or to convert their old software to the new calendar format.

San Francisco has declared a State of Emergency over the coronavirus despite the fact that there is not a single confirmed case in the city. I guess it allows politicians to look like they are in charge and doing important things.

jrbiz, Feb 26, 2020 IP
    JoeSpirit and Spoiltdiva like this.
  11. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    OMG! This is taking it all too far. It's official, the lunatics have taken over the asylum.:eek:

Spoiltdiva, Feb 26, 2020 IP
    mmerlinn, JoeSpirit and jrbiz like this.
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So, I saw a piece on a conspiracy theory on the coronavirus. It goes something like this: the Chinese government biological research lab in Wuhan released the virus to shut down the Hong Kong protests both physically and in the media. Never one to let a crisis go to waste, the lamestream media here are hoping to turn this into a crisis that they can tarnish Trump with (much like they were successful at doing to George W. Bush and Hurricane Katrina destroying New Orleans.) Of course, this all depends on the pandemic actually happening and hundreds of thousands of Americans dropping dead from it for it to have a chance to impact the election.

No idea if it has any validity at all, of course, but it is the only explanation for this media nonsense that I have heard to date.

jrbiz, Feb 27, 2020 IP
  13. andy 3424

andy 3424 Peon

Best Answers:
    First case now in Northern Ireland!! Thank god im in Sydney

andy 3424, Feb 27, 2020 IP
  14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Another theory being bandied about is that the Chinese are fond of eating live wild meat, so in markets all over China you can buy various little creatures in cages and take them home and cook them. It has been proven that this virus can transmit from animals to humans and vice versa.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Spoiltdiva, Feb 27, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Sydney is much closer to China than Ireland (who says I do not know geography?) I would have thought that you were more at risk?

jrbiz, Feb 27, 2020 IP
  16. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is much more likely that it is a "natural" cause as you describe above. Mammals are walking breeding grounds for new diseases, and that includes we humans, as well. The other thing that I have heard is that 1720, 1820, and 1920 were all years of pandemic diseases which, for some, would bode ill for 2020.

jrbiz, Feb 27, 2020 IP
  17. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Heard today about a guy who was sick of the racist bullying out in public so bought a mask just so he could go about his day in peace. Hasn't been to China in over a decade.

The systems I worked on would have failed.
    They were tested and the failure was proven.
    People wouldn't have been able to get the services they'd paid for. In some cases, it might have stopped people accessing hospital care because their health insurance wouldn't be confirmed.

sarahk, Feb 27, 2020 IP
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    If he is Oriental wouldn't people still see that he was even with the mask? Or...was he wearing sunglasses as well?:cool:

Spoiltdiva, Feb 27, 2020 IP
  19. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The abuse was related to the absense of a mask - so now he's got one people leave him alone.
    His colleagues think it's hysterical, but it's a sad indictment on our community that people are so stupid.

sarahk, Feb 27, 2020 IP
  20. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have also heard that Chinese restaurants in Boston's Chinatown have seen a dramatic drop in customers because of fears of the virus. Crazy.

jrbiz, Feb 28, 2020 IP