1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

copywriting with speech recognition software

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by dvduval, Nov 20, 2011.

I have been enjoying using my phone to speak And see the words appear on the screen. With some practice there are relatively Few mistakes and most mistakes Do not necessarily need to be corrected as The message is clear enough to the reader. As you can see in the copy you are reading now , the only mistakes so far are with capitalization. have you been using speech recognition software to write some of your copy?

dvduval, Nov 20, 2011 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    If obesity is a problem now, imagine what would happen if everyone got lazy with using their keyboards? Honestly though, sounds like something worth looking into.

dcristo, Nov 20, 2011 IP
  3. jeremyh

jeremyh Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If it makes the writing come off sounding more natural, then I'm for it.

jeremyh, Nov 23, 2011 IP
  4. MagicMonkey

MagicMonkey Member

Best Answers:
    Are you using dragon or something else?
    If dragon how long did it take you to get it to recognise your speech as I tried using it but found it a royal ain in the backside

MagicMonkey, Nov 24, 2011 IP
  5. neemoil

neemoil Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You are doing a difficult job, did you test this process in the long run. You will spending more time than actually writing articles. If you are not good in computer typing you can do this, this idea is cool.

neemoil, Nov 24, 2011 IP
  6. richardtorrents

richardtorrents Member

Best Answers:
    I don't have a lot of experience using speech recognition software but I wouldn't mind giving it a try. This post was produced with Dragon dictation app for iphone.

richardtorrents, Nov 27, 2011 IP
  7. Sam Gilmore

Sam Gilmore Peon

Best Answers:
    Advantages

Compatibility: Use a voice command to type a letter, translate a memo, store a meeting's information, this sort of program is flexible enough to work along different types of software and systems.

Convenience: Often while typing, we tend to think or pause, then type, then think again.. this disrupts the creative process. It's nice if you just talk and your words are converted into text, right in front of you. You can actually see your ideas being formulated in front of you. For those who tape meetings and memos, this saves listening back to the audio and manually writing it down.

Speed: Typing takes practice, typing fast takes even more practice and experience. There's no doubt, that speaking your thoughts out loud is infinitely faster than typing them out. So a VRS takes care of that by eliminating the need for typing. Think how much more you can get done, if you just speak and the data gets typed. Navigation around a computer is much faster through speech recognition software. Saying "Open up Windows Explorer" and the program opening, is much faster than you searching for the option in the Start menu.

Hands-Free Computing: You can multitask or perform other tasks while computing, since a VRS computer will operate on your voice.

Easy Learning: Once you have mastered the commands, VRS is a simple system to use. This allows easier computing for those who are new to computers or not very tech-savvy. It is also useful for the disabled, elderly and those who cannot type properly or type with speed. VRS also helps those with learning disabilities like dyslexia, for whom typing can be a very cumbersome task.

Disadvantages

Accuracy: It's not as simple and easy as it sounds. There is a margin of error and different VRS programs have varying degrees of accuracy. Say a paragraph has 50 words, a high degree of accuracy would translate 46-48 words correctly. If the rate of accuracy is low, then you will have to retype or correct the stored text. The same applies to issuing commands to the computer. Saying "Open Word" and your computer mistakes it for something else and opens an entirely different program.

Sound Quality: The way you speak, the quality of your voice is also important. Humans find a slurred, mumbling or low voice tone, difficult to understand, why shouldn't a program? A crisp and very clear tone is needed. The background audio or effects also factor. A crowded or noisy area can hamper the entering sound quality and the VRS program cannot separate noise and audio.

VRS Learning Curve: The way you speak and pronounce certain words is different and the software must learn or adjust to that quirk or trait in your speech. It is a progressive program, so it learns from making mistakes and will improve with time. As it does so, you might end up editing or correcting some amounts of text, which do not match with what you said.

Environment: Talking into a microphone in a quiet and silent location, disturbs others around you. Plus they might think you are talking to them and end up starting a conversation! If you work with very specific and unusual data, such as scientific terms and jargon, then the built-in VRS software should also be smart enough to handle such words.

Price: Typing is cheaper than using a VRS. You do not need to purchase anything to type. On the other hand, a VRS will cost you at least $50 and high-end software can touch $200 - $300.

Sam Gilmore, Mar 27, 2012 IP
  8. msmedia

msmedia Peon

Best Answers:
    I never could get voice recognition software to play nicely, especially the extra feature of launching different programs.

However, I can see how some people might make it work for them.

What felt weird to me, was having to verbalize punctuation. In other words, speaking each bit of punctuation that needs to be added ("This software comma although a bit helpful comma is a bit strange to use period")

To each their own... :)

msmedia, Apr 3, 2012 IP
  9. marykabrown

marykabrown Peon

Best Answers:
    For accurate transcription, please try manual transcription

marykabrown, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  10. Andy_Button

Andy_Button Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Personally I just enjoy typing and being able to think without distractions. I would imagine that having to speak as I write would make it harder to think clearly.

Andy_Button, Apr 13, 2012 IP
  11. Sam Gilmore

Sam Gilmore Peon

Best Answers:
    you actually enjoy typing sound?)))

Sam Gilmore, Jul 13, 2012 IP
  12. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can't speak for anyone else but I like the clicking sound. In fact, when I buy a laptop, the feel and sound of the keyboard matters more to me than the size of the hard drive or memory. I can always change out the hard drive or memory. The keyboard is there for the life of the machine.

YMC, Jul 13, 2012 IP
  13. Marit

Marit Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Dragon to dictate any eBooks, reports, etc. that I'm writing. I prefer to do any sales copy or short articles by typing, though.

Marit, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  14. purpletentacle

purpletentacle Peon

Best Answers:
    If you can't afford Dragon, you can get a transcription service like SpeechPad who charge $1 per minute of video.
    The first transcription is free, so I sent them a 10 minute game walkthrough to really test them out. They were excellent
    Haven't used them on a proper paid project yet though.

purpletentacle, Sep 5, 2012 IP
  15. ideamarketing

ideamarketing Member

Best Answers:
    The speech-recognition software is not up-to-par yet (for serious writers). If you write/publish "crap content" ...it would probably work.

ideamarketing, Sep 5, 2012 IP