1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Copywriting proofing/improving - Price check

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by AdamSee, Aug 22, 2006.

Hi there,

Wondering how much it would cost to have some writing proofed and improved upon for a possible job in a few weeks time.

I'm writing out an FAQ about on a web development site and my writing doesn't really 'kick it' yet.

It would be in the vein of: http://mailchimp.com/faq.phtml

AdamSee, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  2. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    Ill proof your slogan for free.

Try, "You design and I will deliver."

Just kidding btw. :)

aaron_nimocks, Aug 22, 2006 IP
    AdamSee likes this.
  3. AdamSee

AdamSee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL - I like.

It's not actually my site or company. A source of reference.

AdamSee, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  4. Keith Taylor

Keith Taylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    I couldn't suggest a price, but I would say that if you're looking for something as good as the Mail Chimp FAQ - and you advertise on these here forums (fora? Damned Latin ruined language for us all) - you shouldn't even consider accepting the lowest bid.

The Mail Chimp FAQ was clearly written by someone talented enough to inject a little personality into the text, and you just won't get that when you go bottom dollar. Your best chance for a result that, as you say, kicks it will be if you make sure that your text covers all of the technical jargon adequately before you pass it onto the writer to add entertainment value. It's easy to find a copywriter with a nice, entertaining style - not so easy to find a technical writer with the same :)

Keith Taylor, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  5. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you go with a pro, the price is going to depend on the level of editing you need. The most expensive will be a substantive edit.

marketjunction, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  6. AdamSee

Best Answers:
    Indeed Keith. People who go cheapest route might get temporary satisfaction, but it doesn't work in the long run. The person who offers $20, kills their enthusiasm for their work and under values themselves (especially if they are good).

Take for example this: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=127842 . Someone offering the same basic service I offer for $10. I easily charge 20 to 30 times more. You think for $10 he's going to be happy with his line of work? top quality? sustainable? no, not at all!

I'm not the best a writing, I'd like to get better myself, but I believe a professional should always handle their respective areas with a pride and satisfaction.

I want the 'kick', with the personality reflecting our companies ethos.

AdamSee, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  7. AdamSee

Best Answers:
    http://codepress.co.uk/

Here is the completed site. The technical text is all there, however, the writing has varying personalities, isn't too fluent and doesn't work very well.

Before I ask on the services board I can offer my web coding abilities (£199 business price) in trade for some decent amendments to the copy throughout the site. There's not much original content to write, rather changes in fluency, expanding of paragraphs to add a more human feeling and adding that friendly professionalism, which is demonstrated by the MailChimp FAQ (above).

It's obviously useful if you have some understanding and recognise what the service offers, that's why I haven't explained, in depth, what the service is - it's all on the site. My services would be offered at any time via a coupon code that you'd send when ordering. That means if you so wish, you can sell it on.

Please let me know if you're interested, I'd love to see some of the past work you've done.

AdamSee, Nov 7, 2006 IP