1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

coop to lose numbers to link vault?

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by jwbond, May 5, 2005.

Earlier this week I found out about the newly launched Link Vault network allows for permanant links that are added slowly overtime. It also does it in the proper categories. I would think that the coop and link vault could co-exist, but the coop needs to make these crucial updates if they don't want to lose too many accounts. I have heard many at link vault say they would like to run both networks, but the coop TOS doesn't allow it.

Are there any plans to allow for permanant links on the coop?

Are there any thoughts of changing the TOS to allow both?

jwbond, May 5, 2005 IP
  2. rurbaniak

rurbaniak Peon

Best Answers:
    Good question, sounds promising.

rurbaniak, May 5, 2005 IP
  3. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    yfs1, May 5, 2005 IP
  4. sue

sue Peon

Best Answers:
    sue, May 5, 2005 IP
    yfs1 likes this.
  5. jwbond

jwbond Guest

Best Answers:
    please read my post again...im not asking you to compare the two...i am asking opinions on whether you think the coop will have to change to survive or if it can remain do to the amount of sites.

any thoughts?

jwbond, May 5, 2005 IP
  6. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I personally think it will eventually have to change. Right now this COOP is still working great with Yahoo and MSN, no doubt in my mind. The questions you have to ask yourself is...
    1) How long before they devalue?
    2) Is the traffic from these Se's worth it?

For now I have choosen to use both. Still keeping most of my weight here because, for me, it's worth it. The added bonus we also have here is a great forum. When/ if you join Link Vault you'll see what I mean. That said, the Link-vault is similar, but the biggest differences being permanent links vs rotating links. This network is very much hands on for link placement/ approvals, because of that growth is slow but steady. When you get 4 referers you also get to see exactly where your links are placed. :cool:

Link_vault and this COOP can run on the same site, just not in the same directory. :)

Homer, May 5, 2005 IP
    SEbasic likes this.
  7. jwbond

jwbond Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree it still works excellent for yahoo, it has me at #1 for ALL of my keywords, it's incredible! However, MSN has seemed to devaulue revolving links as of the past couple weeks.

Good to know, I like the coop very much and wouldn't want to have to choose between the two. They both definately have pros and cons, but I think the coop is going to have to evolve or die a slow death.

jwbond, May 5, 2005 IP
  8. rurbaniak

rurbaniak Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you mean not in the same directory? Explain please.

rurbaniak, May 5, 2005 IP
  9. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I doubt it, even if the ad network stayed exactly the same until the end of time. 90% of the people using the ad network are not SEOs, they are people looking for things like [search=google]free advertising[/search], [search=google]web advertising[/search], [search=google]online advertising[/search], [search=google]internet advertising[/search], or even just [search=google]advertising[/search], etc. They aren't people searching google for things like SEO, link exchange, etc.

In fact, every week there are more new sites coming online than the previous week always. There was over 100 new sites just yesterday for example. :)

digitalpoint, May 5, 2005 IP
    SEbasic likes this.
  10. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh my gosh.......

SEbasic, May 5, 2005 IP
  11. jwbond

jwbond Guest

Best Answers:
    interesting...I never would have guessed, I always assumed most found out about the coop through seo forums. perhaps you will only lose a small % (the seos) as link vault grows, something that will not hurt you at all if your #s are correct.

on the bright side shawn, you won't have to hear seos complain about "improvements" to help their rankings...the coop has been good to me though and I have recieved a lot of traffic via yahoo and msn (no longer msn, but I once did) due directly from the coop. however, for me like many other seos I think the link vault is what we are looking for as far as permanent links and the use of categories as well as a slow link adding schedule. but i do want to thank you, as you have helped my traffic tremendously! :)

jwbond, May 5, 2005 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  12. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well... for the record, I never said the ad network won't evolve. It would be foolish to think it wouldn't. I was just saying that even *if* it didn't (which isn't the plan), it's not going to "die a slow painful death". :)

digitalpoint, May 5, 2005 IP
  13. jwbond

jwbond Guest

Best Answers:
    gotcha ;)

and just to clarify my statement...i think link vault is obviously designed more around seo's where coop is designed truely as an advertising network with some seo benefits. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but the networks had different design goals from the begining

jwbond, May 5, 2005 IP
  14. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Funny thing about the Link Vault, even after reading it and asking members, not one person has been able to explain it to me.

I take it as having five links exchanged? I can do that on my own and get way more then five sites involved in the exchange that are "on topic" - "relevent" - "related".

I need advertising and from where I'm sitting, advertising works.

noppid, May 5, 2005 IP
  15. celt

celt Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe you just need to phrase your question clearly?

celt, May 5, 2005 IP
  16. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You must be asking the wrong people then, noppid.

It's very similar to the co-op network in that you sign up, place a few files on your server, the main LV server delivers ad data to a text file, and then feeds the ads in the text file to the pages where the LV code is located.

Vaultage is the same thing as weight in the co-op. Vaultage, however, is given based on the PR of EACH page instead of the main root page + overall number of pages under the root. I'm not 100% sure whether or not the number of pages matters. However PR0 pages do get vaultage, though the more high PR pages you give, the more vaultage you get.

Your ads are set up with one link in mind that can have multiple (up to 3) anchors. Each anchor is given a weight (default is 50 for the first, 30 for the second, and 20 for the third) that determines how often that anchor text is used for that one ad. You can also have up to 20 links displayed a day. You can also pick the category you want the ads to be displayed for. If there are no categories, they will add them if you request. If there are no pages in that category yet, your ads will default to other pages until more pages start to fill into the category you want your ads to be displayed on.

Vaultage is used up depending on the PR of the pages the ads are displayed on. I believe one vault is used for a PR0 page, and it grows exponentially from there. They haven't given the algorithm out on how much vaultage is used on each page. It has something to do with the PR of the page the ad is placed on, though.

Infiniterb, May 5, 2005 IP
  17. noppid

Best Answers:
    The answer still does not explain how I get on multiple sites, above 5 sites, if I only show five links. Why would a bunch of other sites show my "perma link"?

If the ads are "permanant" and they are "better" because of that, how does it work? Why does the server need to be cheched if I was assigned "permanant"/"static" non rotating links. I don't see it being an opportunity to show links on more then five sites at a time.

noppid, May 5, 2005 IP
  18. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Noppid,

I am sorry but I too don´t really understand your question. If you have a website with 100 pages and chose to include 50 of those pages in the LV, and chose to have two LV links on each included page then you have 100 potential spots for a LV links. Times that by 5 sites and you are offering 500 slots for a link. The vaultage you get won´t be 500 but will be related to the individual PR of each page you have included in LV.

Each site that has joined LV also has a mutiple number of slots. It´s not a matter of you having the same sitewide set of 5 links, but selcting how many you wish to display per page and on each page they will be different.

Does that help at all? I´m new at this myself so my understanding of it all may be a bit on the simplistic side.

e10, May 5, 2005 IP
  19. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's just like the co-op. You don't just show five links on your entire site. You show 5 links a page. Each page has different links. Even though I have the code site wide, I only have ads on some of the pages because either A) the pages aren't cached in google yet; or B) the page doesn't fall into a category that people want to place ads on yet.

Infiniterb, May 5, 2005 IP
  20. noppid

Best Answers:
    OK, different links for different pages. That makes more sense in the distribution end.

They need a new writer over there.

noppid, May 5, 2005 IP